Paradox: Conservatives Insisting SOTU Speeches are Boring, Nobody’s Watching, Obama is Irrelevant…Yet… We…Can’t…Stop…Talking About It…Posted: January 29, 2014
I was going to write about the contradiction between words and deeds, between message, and reality.
The message: “The State of the Union speech is a non-event, featuring an irrelevant president, on subjects that nobody cares about. America is tuning out.”
The reality: “We can’t stop talking about Obama’s State of the Union speech.”
The message, endlessly repeated by conservative talking heads, writers, and bloggers (count me among them) for the last three days, emphasizing boredom, fatigue, irrelevance, tuning out.
But if it’s so irrelevant, and everyone’s tuning out, why invest billions of pixels writing about it, and waste valuable broadcast time, evaluating it, discussing it, talking about it? It means that people are paying attention. Doesn’t it?
Then I saw this.
Falling just shy of the 2013 outing, Nielsen returns put President Obama’s Tuesday address as the least watched since 2000.
Apparently, they were right. America is tuning out.
It could be the only people paying attention were insiders, media people, speechwriters, White House staff members, friends and family of members of Congress, political operatives, cameramen, broadcasters, and editors who had no choice, but primarily, disgruntled conservatives; the people warning us that no one is paying attention.
From the Hollywood Reporter:
TV Ratings: State of the Union, With 33.3 Million Viewers, Hits 14-Year Low
The gross average audience of 13 networks airing President Barack Obama’s speech puts viewership at 33,299,172. That’s down from the 33.5 million that tuned in for the 2013 speech for its lowest showing since 2000. (President Bill Clinton’s final address in office averaged 31,478,000.)
In the cable news race, Fox News Channel came out on top as the only network to grow its State of the Union audience year over year.
Nielsen, in its first State of the Union also measuring Twitter, gives 2.1 million tweets and an audience of 8.8 million users to the speech’s social footprint.
- Not watching SOTU last night was surprisingly refreshing (legalinsurrection.com)
- Barack Obama’s 2014 SOTU Address – More Smears and Lies (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Oh dear: Is this the most unsettling part of President ShamWow’s SOTU speech? (twitchy.com)
- Does the SOTU Even Matter? (nationalreview.com)
- Hope & Cringe: GOP consultant/CNN contributor Alex Castellanos describes how Obama’s SOTU speech was like sex (michellemalkin.com)
- How ‘satisfying’ was Obama’s crappy SOTU? ‘Red Eye’ fave Mike Baker has the answer (twitchy.com)
- Video: Did Obama really crib SOTU passages from … George W. Bush? (hotair.com)
- The Pull of The SOTU (nationalreview.com)
- ‘NSFW!’ Emetic of the day: Chris Matthews’ #SOTU response disgusts [pic] (twitchy.com)
- Fashion forward! Wardrobe must-haves to survive the SOTU address [pics] (twitchy.com)