Welcome to Old New, New York: NYC Sees 33% Spike in Murders, Fewer Guns SeizedPosted: January 30, 2014
According to the latest statistics released Tuesday, there have been 28 homicides so far this year compared to 21 in the same period last year.
“This is the residual effect of de Blasio’s backlash against stop-and-frisk’’
That puts the city on course for at least one murder a day.
Last year, the Big Apple racked up 334 homicides in 365 days, the lowest in the city’s recorded history.
“I think Bratton needs to be concerned about the homicide numbers, but he’s a field commander at heart,” said a law-enforcement source. “If there’s something egregiously wrong, he will go straight to the source — the precinct or precincts that are problematic — and fix it right away.”
The source blamed de Blasio’s anti-stop-and-frisk push for the uptick in slayings.
“This is the residual effect of de Blasio’s backlash against stop-and-frisk,’’ the source said. “Cops aren’t stopping people and taking guns off the street, which emboldens the criminals,” the source said.
Another veteran investigator agreed, saying, “Cops are reticent about making stops because they don’t want to get punished.”
Police statistics also for the past 26 days — the most recent figures available — show that gun recoveries are way down. There was a drop of 31.1 percent, or 208 guns recovered compared to 302 last year.
Since this past Jan. 1, there have also been increases in rapes and felony assaults — and decreases in robberies, burglaries and grand larcenies.
There were 100 rapes as opposed to 95 during the same period last year — a 5.3 percent jump…
- In First Month Of Mayor de Blasio’s Term, 33% Spike In Murders (jpupdates.com)
- New Yorkers Prepare to Blame Bill de Blasio for Everything After Murders Rise (complex.com)
- Crime in NYC housing projects up 7% (nydailynews.com)
- Nearly a fifth of all grand larcenies in NYC involved Apple products (9to5mac.com)
- Serious Crime Down In Hartford In 2013 (foxct.com)
- Violent crime in Flagstaff off 8% (azdailysun.com)
- Yes, You Can Buy an iPhone Case That Doubles as a Stun Gun (theatlanticcities.com)
- Stop and frisk solved? NYPD commissioner’s bold statement after just 2 weeks (pix11.com)
- Bratton Begins New Role As NYPD Commissioner With Mixed Reviews (mintpressnews.com)
- The Commish, the 2nd Time Around (athomesense.com)