Obama’s Love of ElitesPosted: January 30, 2014
The president struck a populist note in his speech, but it’s hard to tell he believes it when you look at his administration
James Oliphant writes: President Obama drew applause from the House chamber for striking what seemed to be a populist blow against elitism in his State of the Union.
“I believe that here in America, our success should depend not on accident of birth, but the strength of our work ethic and the scope of our dreams,” Obama said early in his remarks.
Looking at his administration, however, you would never know he believes that. Yes, as the president pointed out, both he and House Speaker John Boehner come from modest backgrounds. But as a graduate of Harvard Law School, Obama has shown himself more of that stripe, stuffing his administration with like-minded denizens of the Ivy League.
George W. Bush attended Yale University and Harvard Business School, and his vice president, Dick Cheney went to Yale as well (and, yeah, he flunked out), but they carried chips on their shoulders about it the rest of their lives. Both felt like outsiders among the Eastern elite. Obama instead has embraced that culture like few presidents before him.
A National Journal survey last year of 250 decision-makers in the Obama administration found that no fewer than 40 percent of them held Ivy League degrees. Moreover, just one-quarter of those officials held graduate degrees from a public university. In fact, more Obama administration officials secured advanced degrees from Oxford—you know, in England—than from any American public school. And more than 60 either attended Harvard as an undergrad or a grad student…
- Obama is no Narcissist (therionorteline.com)
- Will presidential arrogance deliver the Senate to the GOP? (hotair.com)
- The real inequality is in Washington, DC (dailycaller.com)
- Troy Senik, Ed. : The Populist Pose (ricochet.com)
- Obama Is a Symptom, Not the Cause (nationalreview.com)
- Ted Cruz: A Consistent Pattern of Lawlessness from President Obama (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- The Media Needs to Talk Less About What Obama Can Do and More About Why Republicans Won’t Do (politicususa.com)
- Poll: Majority believe Obama administration incompetent (mobile.wnd.com)
- GOP to White House: See You in Court (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Obama Gives Boehner Shout-Out in SOTU (nationalreview.com)