How Will You Celebrate World Hijab Day?Posted: February 1, 2014
Next month: Celebrate World Honor-Killing Day, World Fored-Female-Circumcision Day, and World Adulterer-Stoning Day
Guess what day IT IS! Huh? Anybody?
That’s right. It’s World Hijab Day.
Sort of like Christmas and Thanksgiving rolled into one for lovers of Muslim head coverings, World Hijab Day offers a formalized opportunity to proselytize about veils.
The World Hijab Day website offers a wealth of information about this festive day. The plan is for women who don’t wear Islamic headscarves to step into “the shoes of a hijabi for one day,” thus fostering “awareness of what the hijab is about.”
The site strongly emphasizes — with CAPITAL LETTERS EVEN — that some women — only some, of course — “do CHOOSE to wear it, that a hijab is not automatically an indication that a woman is being oppressed.”
The “Q & A” page provides additional insight. As it explains, women — “sisters” – can participate by donning hijabs “wherever they might be on February 1st.”
You don’t need to be a Muslim to be a part of the fun. “This event is for women of all faiths.”
If you don’t own your very own hijab, don’t fret. “Grab your most favorite scarf and use it” instead…
- #WorldHijabDay (thesistersnetwork.co.uk)
- World Hijab Day, 1st February 2014 (theturquoisescarf.com)
- World Hijab Day 2014 (top2toestyliestadotme.wordpress.com)
- February 1: World Hijab Day (tvaraj.com)
- Top2ToeStyliesta, supporting World Hijab Day 2014! (top2toestyliestadotme.wordpress.com)
- My contribution to World Hijab Day (ahijabinparis.wordpress.com)
- The lessons of World Hijab Day (vanguardngr.com)
- World Hijab Day 2014 (hijabibrainjuice.wordpress.com)
- Top 5 Reasons to Wear a Scarf on World Hijab Day (islamwich.com)