Dershowitz Says D’Souza Case ‘Smacks of Selective Prosecution’Posted: February 2, 2014
His latest topic of concern: Dinesh D’Souza. Mr. Dershowitz thinks the federal campaign fraud charges against the conservative filmmaker and author are an example of “selective prosecution.”
Weighing in on the case Friday in an interview with Law Blog, Mr. Dershowitz was withering in his opinion of the Manhattan U.S. attorney office’s prosecution of Mr. D’Souza, who pleaded not guilty last week to making illegal campaign contributions to a Republican U.S. Senate candidate in 2012.
“The idea of charging him with a felony for this doesn’t sound like a proper exercise of prosecutorial discretion,” Mr. Dershowitz said. “I can’t help but think that [D’Souza’s] politics have something to do with it. . . . It smacks of selective prosecution.”
The professor, though, said he has a high regard for Manhattan U.S. attorney Preet Bharara, whose office under his watch has won corruption convictions against nearly a dozen Democratic lawmakers in New York. “I’m a big of supporter. I think he’s doing a great job, but this is a mistake,” Mr. Dershowitz said.
A spokesperson for Mr. Bharara’s office did not have an immediate comment.
Mr. D’Souza’s polemical 2012 film “2016: Obama’s America” — which is highly critical of the nation’s Democratic president — ranks among the highest grossing documentaries of all time…
- Lib Harvard Professor Alan Dershowitz Says Charges Against Dinesh D’Souza “Smacks of Selective Prosecution”… (weaselzippers.us)
- Alan Dershowitz Rises to the Defense of Dinesh D’Souza (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- SELECTIVE PROSECUTION: Alan Dershowitz Rises To The Defense of Dinesh D’Souza. And he’s not the on… (pjmedia.com)
- Paul A. Rahe : Alan Dershowitz Rises to the Defense of Dinesh D’Souza (ricochet.com)
- D’Souza gets a defender (neoneocon.com)
- It Begins… Director of Anti-Obama Film “2016: Obama’s America” Indicted by Federal Court (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Alan Dershowitz Rises to the Defense of Dinesh D’Souza (deadcitizensrightssociety.wordpress.com)
- Dershowitz, legal experts say vindictive D’Souza indictment came from higher up (Video) (dailypaul.com)
- Alan Dershowitz Rises to the Defense of Dinesh D’Souza (ivoter.com)
- Alan Dershowitz rises to the defense of Dinesh D’Souza (utsandiego.com)