Philip Seymour Hoffman’s Deadly Brand of Heroin: ‘Ace of Spades’Posted: February 2, 2014
Emphasis mine…from New York Post:
…Cops found five empty glassine envelopes in a garbage can, two more under the bed and one on a table in the apartment, where Hoffman — who has repeatedly struggled with substance abuse — was living recently, sources said.
Cops also found a charred spoon in the kitchen sink, sources say.
“He was shooting up in the bathroom,” a law-enforcement source said.
The envelopes were marked “Ace of Spades,” which sources said is a brand of heroin that hasn’t been seen on the streets since around 2008 in Brooklyn.
There was no note, and Hoffman’s death is believed to be accidental…
I’m pretty sure Ace of Spades HQ has no connection to the brand. But I had a mental image of an envelope with that logo on it (shown below) as the last thing the actor saw before he perished, of an overdose.
Speaking of Ace…
Does the MacInoe photo, shown here represent the Brooklyn heroin baggie type similar to the one found in Hoffman’s Greenwich Village apartment? It’s unclear, but certainly possible. The photographer was also a consumer (addict) he has an interesting photo essay here:
“The images in this series are of heroin baggies collected years ago during a period of addiction. I became intrigued by the typography and design of the glassine envelopes used to package dope, stamped with references to popular culture like Twilight, Crooklyn and New Jack City. Dealers branded and marketed their product like entrepreneurs in any business, pairing names like Dead Medicine with a skull and crossbones to appeal to risk-takers, or an airplane labeled First Class to give the illusion of grandeur…
The addict becomes the ultimate consumer of the ultimate product — following a trail of quirky street names carefully chosen to be instantly recognizable to those in the know….These images are a reminder of both the power of desire and the promises we as consumers want to believe will somehow change our lives.
[ View more of Graham MacIndoe’s photography here ]
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman dies from apparent drug overdose (hot2molly.com)
- Breaking: Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead at 46 [UPDATED] (popculturallyinformed.com)
- Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead [Twitter Reacts] (socialnewsdaily.com)
- Philip Seymour Hoffman Reported Dead of Drug Overdose (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead in New York Apartment (gossipcop.com)
- Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead from apparent overdose (today.com)
- The needle and the damage done: Philip Seymour Hoffman died (whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com)
- Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead in New York Apartment: Report (987ampradio.cbslocal.com)