CBO: O-Care will Cost 2.3M workersPosted: February 4, 2014 | |
Erik Wasson reports: The new healthcare law will cost the nation the equivalent of 2.3 million workers by 2021, contributing to a $1 trillion increase in projected deficits, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimated in a report released Tuesday.
The nonpartisan agency’s report found the healthcare law’s negative effects on the economy will be “substantially larger” than what it had previously anticipated.
The findings immediately roiled the debate over the healthcare law on Capitol Hill ahead of a midterm election that Republicans hope will be dominated by the fight over ObamaCare.
It triggered a swift pushback from the White House, which sought to dismiss suggestions from Republicans that the healthcare law has contributed to a slower economic recover or would “kill” jobs.
The White House pointed out that the CBO concluded the reduction in labor participation due to the healthcare law was almost entirely because of workers choosing to work less.
“The estimated reduction stems almost entirely from a net decline in the amount of labor that workers choose to supply, rather than from a net drop in business’ demand for labor,” the CBO report said.
It estimates the law will reduce labor force compensation by 1 percent from 2017-2024 — twice the reduction it previously had projected.
This will decrease the number of full-time equivalent workers in 2021 by 2.3 million, the CBO said. It had previously estimated the decrease would be 800,000 for that year. By 2024, the number rises to 2.5 million.…
- CBO confirms Obamacare subsidies create disincentive to work harder (legalinsurrection.com)
- Rosie Scenario Has Left the Building CBO Nearly Triples Estimate of Work Hours Lost Due to Obamacare (minx.cc)
- CBO: O-Care slowing growth, contributing to job losses (redalertpolitics.com)
- CBO Crushes ObamaCare (justoneminute.typepad.com)
- CBO triples estimate of Obamacare work force cuts to 2.3 million (dailycaller.com)
- CBO: Obamacare slowing growth, fueling job losses (mobile.wnd.com)
- Obamacare to cut work hours by equivalent of 2 million jobs -CBO (trust.org)
- CBO: Obamacare Will Lead To 2 Million Fewer Workers In The Labor Force By 2017 (hapblog.com)