NBC: ‘Making Lies Sound Truthful and Murder Respectable’Posted: February 8, 2014 | |
NBC Praises Communism as One of History’s ‘Pivotal Experiments’
“The towering presence, the empire that ascended to affirm a colossal footprint. The revolution that birthed one of modern history’s pivotal experiments. But if politics has long shaped our sense of who they are, it’s passion that endures. As a more reliable right to their collective heart. What they build in aspirations lifted by imagination. What they craft, through the wonder of every last detail. How magical the fusion of sound and movement can be. How much a glass of distilled perfection and an overflowing table can matter. Discover the Russian people through these indelible signatures. Discover what we share with them through the games that open here tonight.”
George Orwell, call your office. As he wrote in “Politics and the English Language,” in 1946, such euphemisms are “designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable,” and certainly describing Communism as “one of modern history’s pivotal experiments” fits the bill in spades.
Five years after the Bolshevik Revolution, Austrian economist Ludwig von Mises predicted that the Soviet project was doomed to fail. In his classic work Socialism, Mises explained that the attempt to replace the market system with central economic planning could not succeed, because the planners could not possibly have the information necessary to make all the decisions which, in a market economy, are made by individuals whose needs and desires are reflected in prices: “The problem of economic calculation is the fundamental problem of Socialism.”
“Everything brought forward in favour of Socialism during the last hundred years,” Mises wrote in 1922, “in thousands of writings and speeches, all the blood which has been spilt by the supporters of Socialism, cannot make Socialism workable.….
- “Our Time Is Now” Says Lew Rockwell, Chairman and CEO of the Ludwig von Mises Institute (thenewsdoctors.com)
- NBC’s Olympic coverage has a pivotal experiment in understatement (michellemalkin.com)
- The Worst Idea in the World (davecottrell.wordpress.com)
- NBC: Communism is “one of history’s pivotal experiments” (hotair.com)
- NBC Glorifies Russia’s Soviet Past as ‘One of Modern History’s Pivotal Experiments’ (cnsnews.com)
- NBC Calls Soviet-Era Communism, Responsible For Mass Suffering And Death, A ‘Pivotal Experiment’ (ijreview.com)
- Mises and Schumpeter: Friendly Rivals? (stateofglobe.com)
- NBC refers to decades of Soviet communism as ‘pivotal experiment’; Spit-takes ensue (twitchy.com)
- NBC Reports That Everyone Who Connects To Russian Internet In Sochi Gets Hacked (youviewed.com)
- The Worst Idea in the World (debatepolitics.com)