Mystery ‘Dumb Starbucks’ Shop Appears from out of Nowhere in L.A.’s Los FelizPosted: February 9, 2014
Dumb Starbucks Coffee, which parodies the design of a coffee giant chain store, appeared out of seemingly nowhere over the weekend as a pop-up store in a nondescript Hillhurst Ave. location.
All of the coffee, brewed by two baristas, is free (tips appreciated). They also have pastries (apparently purchased from Vons) that are also free for the taking for now. Alongside a non-functioning cash register, CD’s like “Dumb Nora Jones Duets” [sic] and “Dumb Jazz Standards” are stocked.
And there is a reasonably long line — dozens of people — waiting for a novelty brew on Sunday.
Perhaps due to its impeccably rendered versions of the shop sign, menu and coffee cup design, the store has drawn attention on social media. Communityshowrunner Dan Harmon and The Office comedian Rainn Wilson happened to boost the profile of the shop by sharing links to Dumb Starbucks images.
One barista told The Hollywood Reporter that he was hired two weeks ago when he found the posting on Craigslist. “Our boss wasn’t prepared for all this, that’s why we’re short staffed,” he said. There wasn’t any word yet on who’s behind the parody pop-up store.
There were only a few tables inside of Dumb Starbucks and patrons who were served didn’t seem to stick around too long. But there was a working espresso machine (but no working steam wand) and a drip coffee maker…
- Dumb Starbucks coffee shop opens in Los Angeles neighborhood (dailymail.co.uk)
- ‘Dumb Starbucks’ Shop Appears In L.A (bornfree1791.wordpress.com)
- ‘Dumb Starbucks’ Store In Los Feliz Providing A Latte Laughs For Neighborhood (imarashed.com)
- ‘Dumb Starbucks’ Store In Los Feliz Providing A Latte Laughs For Neighborhood (losangeles.cbslocal.com)
- Dumb Starbucks: Smart Art…Pop-Up Parody..Or Something Else? (dkhdickinson.com)
- ‘Dumb Starbucks’ draws curious crowd in Los Feliz (abclocal.go.com)
- ‘Dumb Starbucks’ shop tests coffee giant’s nerve in LA – but creators insist it’s LEGAL (alrasub.com)
- Good satire or grande stupid, ‘Dumb Starbucks’ draws a crowd in L.A. (seattlepi.com)
- Fake Starbucks In Los Angeles Tests Parody Laws As Coffee Lovers Laugh (forbes.com)
- Is mock Starbucks grounds for lawsuit or laughs? (latimes.com)