[VIDEO] Kelly Ayotte: We Can’t Trust Obama, But Let’s Do Amnesty AnywayPosted: February 9, 2014
Matthew Boyle reports: Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) says she agrees that Republicans can’t trust President Obama to enforce the law, but they should immediately move forward on comprehensive immigration reform, anyway.
Ayotte, who rode the Tea Party wave in 2010 to her election to the Senate but has emerged as one of the upper chamber’s more liberal Republicans, conceded there is a “trust deficit” with Obama.
“There’s a trust deficit that the Speaker is facing right now and it’s related to ObamaCare and the disastrous rollout,” she said. “Because, let’s think about it, immigration means doing a lot of complex things well. And in addition to that, the administration keeps issuing executive orders to change the law, very frequently.”
However, Ayotte insisted the GOP should move forward anyway.
“I think we should solve this,” she continued. “I think [Boehner] can find a way forward. Certainly, the bill that came out of the Senate was not perfect, but it was a good solution to a hard problem. I think it’s an important issue to solve – not only for the country, but for the Republican Party.”
Thursday, Boehner abruptly hit the brakes on his months-long campaign to resurrect immigration legislation back from the dead, citing a lack of trust by rank-and-file Republicans in Obama’s ability to enforce the laws of as written.
Boehner changed tack days after unveiling the House GOP leadership’s immigration “principles” that would grant “legal status” to millions of illegal aliens amid pressure from the conservative grassroots and a large swath of his own conference…
- Ayotte: Big ‘trust deficit’ with Obama (politico.com)
- Ayotte slammed by Schlafly over immigration (iowntheworld.com)
- Why Did Kelly Ayotte Sell Out on Immigration Reform? (dcclothesline.com)
- Why Kelly Ayotte Sold Out On Immigration & Can’t Be Trusted (thedailysheeple.com)
- GOP Senator Kelly Ayotte Tells Boehner To Trust Obama, Pass Amnesty (patdollard.com)
- GOP Senator: Obama ‘Issuing Executive Orders To Change The Law Very Frequently’ (washington.cbslocal.com)
- Ayotte Blew It With Immigration Vote (realclearpolitics.com)