Ed Driscoll: Is Peak Orwell Sustainable?Posted: February 10, 2014
Ed Driscoll writes: It’s no coincidence that the left seems rather Orwellian at times; after all, Ingsoc in1984 was Orwell’s 1949 warning regarding what English Socialism could metastasize into a generation down the line. Why not American socialism?
One of the left’s current (and frequently Orwellian) buzzwords is “sustainability.” Lately, based on recent headlines, the left seems to reaching peak Orwell. Is such a condition sustainable? There seem to be an enormous amount of euphemisms, doublethink and moral evasions in the headlines these days. Here’s a just a taste:
In order to play the losing hand the left have chosen to deal to themselves and the rest of the country via Obamacare, some Ministry of Truth-style euphemisms regarding work and employment have recently become necessary. As Michael Goodwin noted yesterday at the New York Post, “America now has a government that views work as a trap and celebrates those who escape it:”
That is the upshot of last week’s remarkable exchange over ObamaCare. It began when the head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office reported that the interplay of taxes and subsidies in the law “creates a disincentive for people to work.” The report predicted the mix would lead to fewer hours worked, costing the equivalent of nearly 2.5 million jobs.
In response, President Obama’s spokesman pleaded guilty — with pride and pleasure.
“Opportunity created by affordable, quality health insurance allows families in America to make a decision about how they will work, or if they will work,” Jay Carney said. Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi applauded the law for freeing people from “job-lock.”…
- 1984: The masterpiece that killed George Orwell (theguardian.com)
- 13 quotes from George Orwell’s 1984 that resonate more than ever (sott.net)
- Orwellian Totalitarianism and Sex: 1984 (thewhimsicalcircumlocutor.wordpress.com)
- George Orwell – 1984 (slideshare.net)
- George Orwell’s Harrowing Race to Finish 1984 Before His Death (openculture.com)
- Daniel Greenfield: the Islamic Hijacking of George Orwell (ruthfullyyours.com)
- Philosophy Weekend: What “Orwellian” Meant to Orwell (litkicks.com)