China Flexes Muscles, Pounds Chest, Like Tarzan, in U.S.-Led Military ExercisesPosted: February 12, 2014
BANGKOK — Richard S. Ehrlich reports: The U.S. is leading the largest multinational military exercise in the Asia-Pacific region, and Chinese media are hailing Beijing’s first-time participation in the annual drill as proof that the communist nation’s “regional military impact” cannot be ignored.
“Cobra Gold truly replicates the dynamic security environment we find ourselves in today, and what we will face in the future,” Navy Adm. Samuel J. Locklear III, commander of U.S. Pacific Command, said at the opening ceremony for the military exercise.
About 9,000 U.S. troops are training alongside 4,000 from Thailand, 80 from Singapore, 120 from Japan, 300 from South Korea, 160 from Indonesia and 120 from Malaysia.
Several other nations such as Laos, Vietnam and Myanmar are participating as observers in the 33rd annual drills.
China has “observer-plus” status, as it is offering a “humanitarian civic assistance team” of 17 troops, the Army said. Chinese troops will not be included in Cobra Gold’s top-level maneuvers, which include live-fire drills, jungle survival training, amphibious landings and warplane flights.
Still, Chinese media hailed and highlighted Beijing’s limited role in the military drills.
- US-CHINA-ASIA – For first time, Chinese troops take part in Asia-US military exercises (asianews.it)
- Annual Cobra Gold military drill kicks off in Thailand (english.kyodonews.jp)
- PLA debut in US-Thailand military exercise (wantchinatimes.com)
- Putin inspects massive war games (bbc.co.uk)
- Flexing Muscle: China unveils nuclear submarine fleet [RT] (disclose.tv)
- Putin Inspects Largest Russian Military Drill Since Soviet Era (darkgovernment.com)
- US worried about China’s nuke bomber drones hitting military bases (eutimes.net)
- China flexes muscle and unveils mystery nuclear sub fleet (washingtontimes.com)
- RAAF scrambles plane to observe Chinese naval exercise (theage.com.au)