[VIDEO] Base Jumper Who Illegally Plunged 436 Meters From a Whistler Blackcomb Gondola Facing Criminal ChargesPosted: February 13, 2014
He and his friend allegedly pried open the doors of a Peak 2 Peak Gondola that connects Whistler and Blackcomb mountains so he could leap from the cabin on Feb. 6. A video posted on Tuesday documented the dangerous stunt that caused an estimated $10,000 in damage to the doors and locking mechanisms.
Police arrested the alleged accomplice at her workplace in Whistler at about 3 p.m. Wednesday. She was released on a promise to appear in court on April 2 and the RCMP plans to charge the 23-year-old with obstruction and mischief over $5,000 at that time, Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair said. Police are still searching for the BASE jumper whose face is shown at the end of the video.
One of the Whistler Blackcomb resort’s ski patrollers spotted him shortly after he landed safely in a patch of snow, but he ducked into the woods as the RCMP chased him. Police used a sniffer dog to search the forest for an hour-and-a-half, but the trail eventually went cold, Sgt. LeClair said.
The four-minute clip posted to YouTube shows a man and a woman inside a gondola cabin on Whistler Blackcomb’s Peak 2 Peak line. The footage shows the woman using her foot to hold open the Gondola door that was pried open with a metal object…
With files from Postmedia News
- Video: RCMP probe illegal BASE jump from Whistler-Blackcomb gondola (metronews.ca)
- Illegal BASE jump from Whistler Peak 2 Peak Gondola prompts investigation (cbc.ca)
- Illegal BASE jump from Whistler Peak 2 Peak Gondola probed (cbc.ca)
- Whistler Peak 2 Peak BASE jump leads to woman’s arrest (cbc.ca)
- Whistler RCMP arrest woman in connection with BASE jump, man still at large (globalnews.ca)
- Video: Man base jumps from Whistler gondola, then escapes (timescolonist.com)
- The Hunt for a Criminal BASE Jumper (outsideonline.com)
- WATCH: RCMP search for duo involved in BASE jump from Whistler Gondola (globalnews.ca)
- Video: Jump from gondola at Whistler Blackcomb investigated by police (theprovince.com)