Chinese Police Fatally Shoot 8 After Gas Cylinder Bomb AttackPosted: February 15, 2014
HONG KONG — The police in Xinjiang, the ethnically divided region in far western China, fatally shot eight people on Friday after what the state-run news media described as an attack by assailants armed with bombs made from gas cylinders. Three other attackers died in an explosion they set off, the reports said.
The official accounts did not identify the bombers, but it was clear that they were Uighurs, a Turkic people who have grown increasingly resentful of the growing numbers of ethnic Han Chinese in the region and of state controls on their culture and Muslim religion. The accounts called the assailants terrorists, as have many previous official reports describing clashes with Uighurs.
The violence erupted in Wushi County, in Aksu Prefecture, when people riding motorbikes and a person driving a car loaded with natural-gas cylinders bore down on police officers preparing to go on patrol, said Xinhua, the state-run news agency. The attackers also used knives, said Tianshan Net, an official Xinjiang news portal. Wushi is called Uqturpan by Uighurs.
“In the course of responding, the public security police shot dead eight people and captured one,” said the report from Tianshan Net. “Three suspects died while carrying out their crime by blowing themselves up.”
Two police officers were wounded, as were two members of the public, the report said. Officials in Wushi refused to comment.
- Chinese police kill Uighurs in response to ‘terrorist attack’ (smh.com.au)
- 11 assailants killed in attack on police in western China (sfgate.com)
- Chinese police kill ‘terrorists’ in attack in west (mysanantonio.com)
- 15 die in Xinjiang terrorist attack (dawn.com)
- Chinese police kill ‘terrorists’ in attack in west (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Chinese police kill ‘terrorists’ in attack in west (arkansasonline.com)
- Chinese police kill ‘terrorists’ in attack in west (star-telegram.com)
- 15 dead in ‘terrorist attack’ in China’s Xinjiang: govt. (dailystar.com.lb)
- 15 dead in “terrorist attack” in China’s Xinjiang (channelnewsasia.com)