BREAKING: Hot Chocolate Explosion Injures 5 in Chicago Cooking Class CatastrophePosted: February 19, 2014
Five students were burned as they made hot chocolate in a cooking class at Northside College Prep High School on the city’s Northwest Side, police said.
[MORE PHOTOS: Hot chocolate ‘explosion’ evacuates Northside Prep]
“…I don’t know if you’d call it an explosion. The product was possibly over-heated to the point it bubbled over, it splashed out.”
— Chicago Fire Department Deputy Dist. Chief Patrick Brennan
The most seriously injured suffered received burns to her face. She, and the others, are all expected to be OK. Four were taken to the hospital, and one student declined treatment, officials said.
“There was a small cooking class going on, and it was powered by a butane fuel source, a small butane fuel source. And, it seemed like it may have caught fire or heated up so much, that the product, which was just hot chocolate, let loose and burned some of the kids at school,” Chicago Fire Department Deputy Dist. Chief Patrick Brennan said. “I don’t know if you’d call it an explosion. The product was possibly over-heated to the point it bubbled over, it splashed out.”
The Chicago Fire Department and several ambulances were called to the school at 5501 North Kedzie around 11 a.m. Wednesday Sprinklers sprayed water and students were sent outside until Chicago firefighters gave the all clear…
- 4 hurt in cooking accident at Northside College Prep (cltv.com)
- 4 hurt in cooking accident at Northside College Prep (wgntv.com)
- Explosion At Northside College Prep Injures 4 (chicagoist.com)
- Cooking Class Explosion Hurts 5, One Seriously, At Chicago High School (stunningguidance.wordpress.com)
- Cooking Class Explosion Hurts 5 at Chicago School (abcnews.go.com)
- Cooking class explosion hurts 5 at Chicago school (star-telegram.com)