With Ban on Concealed Carry Lifted, Chicago Residents Learn to Protect ThemselvesPosted: February 22, 2014
“Most of what Americans know about guns they learned from TV and the movies, and 99 percent of it is wrong.”
— Gerald Vernon
Katie Pavlich writes: In December 2012 the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals struck down Illinois’ ban on concealed carry as unconstitutional, finally opening the door for residents in crime ridden areas of Chicago to protect themselves and their communities. Although permits must be approved by local police and a state licensing board, it’s a start. People who have applied for permits are expected to get approvals and permits in the mail by the middle of March 2014.
As more people carry concealed in Chicago, the crime rate will decrease. Guaranteed.
Now that Illinois residents have finally been given their rights back, they’re flocking to concealed carry classes to learn more about how to safely carry a firearm. The Reader just did a feature story Gerald Vernon [see Dismantling the Stigma of Guns] a long time Second Amendment advocate and firearms instructor living in Chicago’s south side.
The first lesson Gerald Vernon shared with his conceal-and-carry class is, to him, the most fundamental: “The only thing that stops bad people with guns is good people with guns.”
His ten students—eight men and two women, all African-Americans—were listening intently. They had gathered in a meeting room at a south-side social service center to learn about gun ownership and self-defense from Vernon, a veteran firearms instructor who was seated at the front of the room next to a table set with an array of revolvers and semiautomatic handguns from his collection.
The students didn’t appear to need any convincing. “I’m interested in protection,” explained Thomas Brandon, 57, when it was his turn to introduce himself. The others said they were there for the same reason…
…He added: “Most of what Americans know about guns they learned from TV and the movies, and 99 percent of it is wrong.”
- Dismantling the Stigma of Guns (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Chicago Residents Learn to Protect Themselves (dailybrowse.wordpress.com)
- Meet Gerald Vernon … A Man Training Chicagoans In Their Right To Carry (youviewed.com)
- After Concealed Carry Ban Lifted, Resients In Obama’s Chicago Now Flocking To Apply For Permits, Learning Protection Techniques (downtrend.com)
- Dismantling the Stigma of Guns (ivoter.com)
- Illinois Conceal Carry Applications Outpace Obamacare Enrollment (illinoisreview.typepad.com)
- Illinois Conceal Carry Applications Overwhelmingly Outpace Obamacare Enrollment (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- IL Concealed Carry Applications Far Outpace Obamacare Enrollments… (breitbart.com)
- The Reader is De-Stigmatizing Guns (secondcitycop.blogspot.com)