BREAKING: Ukraine’s New Leaders Order Arrest of President YanukovychPosted: February 24, 2014
In a statement on his official Facebook page, Arsen Avakhov wrote that Yanukovych and several other officials were wanted on charges of “mass killing of civilians” in violence that engulfed Ukraine’s capital city, Kiev, earlier this week. At least 82 people, most of them protesters, were killed in clashes with members of the police and security forces. Some of the dead were shot by snipers in strategic positions overlooking the main protest camp in Kiev’s Independence Square.
“We must find Yanukovych and put him on trial….All the criminals with him should be in prison.”
— protester Leonid Shovtak
Calls are mounting in Ukraine to put Yanukovych on trial after a tumultuous presidency in which he amassed powers, enriched his allies and cracked down on protesters.
Ukrainian law enforcement agencies said earlier Monday that they have no information about the whereabouts of Yanukovych, who reportedly was seen in the port city of Sevastopol, home of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet.
After signing an agreement with the opposition to end a conflict that turned deadly, Yanukovych fled the capital for eastern Ukraine. Ukraine’s border service said he tried to fly out of the country Saturday from Donetsk but was stopped by their officials.
Opposition lawmaker Volodym Kurennoy said on his Facebook page that he had unconfirmed information that the president had been arrested in Crimea.
Ukrainain news portal Liga.net reports that Sevastopol residents saw Yanukovych in the company of Russian marines. The claim could not be independently verified.
Spokespersons for the regional and national Interior Ministry and Security Service said Monday they had no such information…read more….
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Ukraine: Yanukovych reportedly seen in Crimea (miamiherald.com)
- Ukraine: Yanukovych Reportedly Seen in Crimea (world.time.com)
- Ukraine President Yanukovych seen in Crimea, says reports (thehindu.com)
- Ukraine: arrest warrant for President Yanukovych (nzherald.co.nz)
- Ukraine: Yanukovych reportedly seen in Crimea (thenewstribune.com)
- Ukraine: arrest warrant for President Yanukovych (sfgate.com)
- Ukraine arrest warrant for ex-leader Yanukovych (picturesdotnews.wordpress.com)