‘Sit Down, Bitch’ Part 2Posted: February 26, 2014
Issa, House GOP to recall Lois Lerner
House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) is hauling Lois Lerner back to Congress.
Issa told Lerner’s attorney in a Tuesday letter that he expected the retired IRS official to appear before his committee on March 5.
“Because the committee explicitly rejected her Fifth Amendment privilege claim, I expect her to provide answers when the hearing reconvenes on March 5.”
— Chairman Darrell Issa
Lerner, the official at the center of the IRS targeting controversy, invoked her Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination at a May 2013 hearing, just days after she apologized for the agency’s treatment of Tea Party groups.
See “Sit Down, Bitch, We’re Not Done Yet (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
But the Oversight Committee later ruled that Lerner waived her rights by making an opening statement, setting the stage for her recall next week.
In his letter to William Taylor, Lerner’s attorney, Issa said that her testimony “remains critical to this committee’s investigation.”
“Because the committee explicitly rejected her Fifth Amendment privilege claim, I expect her to provide answers when the hearing reconvenes on March 5,” Issa wrote.
Taylor told The Hill he would probably respond to Issa on Wednesday.
Rep. Elijah Cummings (Md.), the top Democrat at House Oversight, said that “only one thing has changed in the nine months since Lois Lerner invoked her Fifth Amendment right in response to Republican accusations of criminal activity – it’s an election year.”
“Republicans are wrong on the law, and calling her back will serve no purpose other than causing a media spectacle and feeding a false political narrative.”
Cummings and other House Democrats had asked to hold a hearing with constitutional scholars before voting on whether Lerner waived her rights…
- Lois Lerner to Return? (patterico.com)
- Darrell Issa Recalls Lois Lerner To Testify (patdollard.com)
- Issa Recalls Lois Lerner to Testify Before Congress on IRS Scandal (breitbart.com)
- Issa Recalls Lerner for Further Testimony on IRS Targeting (nationalreview.com)
- Republicans recall Lois Lerner to testify on IRS targeting (tomfernandez28.com)
- House Oversight Recalling Lerner for More Testimony on IRS Targeting (nationalreview.com)
- Issa Recalls IRS’ Lois Lerner To Testify Before House Oversight Committee… (weaselzippers.us)
- Republicans recall Lois Lerner to testify on IRS targeting (dailycaller.com)
- Issa Calling Lois Lerner Back To Hearings, This Time She’d Better Talk (gopthedailydose.com)