The Hammer: ‘Everybody, is shocked by the weakness of Obama’s statement’Posted: February 28, 2014
Obama Tells the World We Aren’t Going to Do Anything About Invasion of Ukraine
From NRO: As reports are coming in that Russia has placed 2,000 troops in Crimea, within the borders of Ukraine, President Obama said that “the United States will stand with the international community in affirming that there will be costs for any military intervention in Ukraine.”
Charles Krauthammer responded on Special Report tonight saying, “The Ukrainians, and I think everybody, is shocked by the weakness of Obama’s statement. I find it rather staggering.”
“What he’s saying is we’re not really going to do anything and we’re telling the world.”
Krauthammer thinks Obama’s statement is about “three levels removed” from actual action. He explained: Obama said “we will stand with the international community — meaning we are going to negotiate with a dozen other countries who will water down the statement — in affirming that there will be costs — meaning in making a statement not even imposing a cost, but in making a statement about imposing a cost — for any military intervention.”
“What he’s saying is we’re not really going to do anything and we’re telling the world,” Krauthammer said.
Paul Szoldra notes:
Obama did not make clear what those “costs” would be, although direct military action is highly unlikely. Senior administration officials speaking to CNN have said the U.S. may possibly sit out the upcoming G-8 summit in Russia, while others have speculated the U.S. could bring Ukraine into the fold of NATO.
Obama: “There will be costs for any military intervention in #Ukraine.” To US credibility.
— ian bremmer (@ianbremmer) February 28, 2014
Here’s the transcript of Obama’s speech.
- Obama warns Russia against military intervention in Ukraine, says ‘there will be costs (outfront.blogs.cnn.com)
- Obama warns Russia against Ukraine action (ksat.com)
- ‘Are We Going To Go To War With Russia Over Ukraine?’ (businessinsider.com)
- Obama warns Russia against Ukraine action (wsbt.com)
- Obama warns Russia against Ukraine action (wyff4.com)
- Krauthammer: ‘I’d Like to See Some Recognition By Obama of the Stakes in Ukraine’ (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Obama on Crimea: “There Will Be Costs” (newyorker.com)
- Krauthammer’s Take: Obama Tells the World We Aren’t Going to Do Anything About Invasion of Ukraine (gunnygbb2.wordpress.com)
- Krauthammer: Obama ‘could not have issued a more flaccid statement’ on Russian invasion (dailycaller.com)