US Official: Russia in Control of Ukraines Crimea ProvincePosted: March 3, 2014
UPDATE: and from London, 12.13am GMT:
The BBC’s indomitable Nick Sutton, nightly tweeter of tomorrow’s Fleet Street front pages, notes that Ukraine leads on most.
Among them, The Sun has its own characteristic take on the crisis.
— Nick Sutton (@suttonnick) March 2, 2014
“Russian forces now have complete operational control of the Crimean peninsula, some 6,000-plus airborne and naval forces, with considerable materiel,” the official said in a briefing for reporters. “There is no question that they are in an occupation position in Crimea…”
He also said Russia was flying in reinforcements.
…The officials told a conference call with reporters that there had also been “occasional ethnic skirmishes in parts of the east” of Ukraine, and that there was particular concern about the north-eastern city of Kharkiv, where “efforts to stir up ethnic Russians” against Kiev had been detected…Read more >>>
- Russia tightens grip on Crimea as West scrambles to respond (foxnews.com)
- Region has aligned itself with Russia for decades (bostonherald.com)
- Crimea: Beautiful Peninsula Once Again Becomes A Sticking Point. (memolition.com)
- Ukraine puts forces on high alert as Russian troops enter Crimea region (foxnews.com)
- Interim Govt Wants Russia Out of Crimea, Many Crimeans Want Out of Ukraine (news.antiwar.com)
- Mobilization! Ukraine Calls Up Reserves While Troops Surround Crimea Military Base (pjmedia.com)
- Ukraine navy chief switches allegiance to Crimea pro-Russia authorities (terminalx.org)
- Russia builds up armour near Crimea, Ukraine border guards say (trust.org)
- Crimea’s Russians welcome Moscow’s troops as protectors (irishtimes.com)
- Big Russian Troop Column Headed for the Capital of the Crimea, Simferopol (matthewaid.com)