Will She or Won’t She? Awaiting Lois Lerner’s Testimony at IRS Scandal HearingPosted: March 5, 2014
A former IRS official who refused to answer questions about the agency’s targeting scandal at a hearing last spring is expected to appear before a House committee on Wednesday, but it’s unclear whether she will answer questions this time, either.
Lois Lerner headed the IRS division that improperly targeted tea party and other conservative groups for extra scrutiny when they applied for tax-exempt status.
After publicly disclosing the targeting, Lerner refused to answer questions about it at a congressional hearing, invoking her constitutional right not to incriminate herself.
House Oversight Committee Chairman Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., told “Fox News Sunday” he expected Lerner to testify at Wednesday’s hearing. But a committee spokeswoman said Tuesday she could only confirm that Lerner was expected to attend the hearing.
Lerner resigned from her post as the agency’s director of tax-exempt organizations days after her one-and-only appearance before the committee in which she asserted her Fifth Amendment rights.
Issa and Lerner’s attorneys have argued about whether she is now still protected from having to testify under the Fifth Amendment. Emails obtained by Fox News revealed an attorney for Lerner negotiated over whether she would testify….Read the rest >>>
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Issa: Lois Lerner will testify before House Oversight on IRS scandal (conservativeread.com)
- IRS’ Lois Lerner Asks To Delay Her Congressional Testimony Because She Fears For Her Life… (redflagnews.com)
- What will Lois Lerner do at Wednesday’s Oversight hearing? (dailycaller.com)
- IRS’ Lois Lerner Asks To Delay Her Congressional Testimony Because She Fears For Her Life… (weaselzippers.us)
- Lois Lerner To Waive Fifth And Testify (youviewed.com)
- Either way, if Lois Lerner Testifies today, call these Three Congressmen (shoebat.com)
- Rep. Issa says IRS’s Lois Lerner will testify (redalertpolitics.com)
- [VIDEO] SCORE: Lois Lerner to Testify before Congress on Wednesday (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Lois Lerner wants one week delay for IRS testimony – she ‘fears’ for her life (fireandreamitchell.com)
- Email shows Lerner seeking deal with Issa (freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com)