Emails Show IRS Lois Lerner Specifically Targeted Tea PartyPosted: March 6, 2014
Lois G. Lerner, the woman at the center of the Internal Revenue Service scandal over special scrutiny of conservative groups, specifically targeted tea party applications and directed that they be held up in 2011 in order to come up with an agency policy, according to several of Ms. Lerner’s emails released by a House committee Thursday.
BREAKING NEWS: Girl feud! Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus tangle over slip of the tongue
Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus were supposedly girlfriends! — but are they anymore? Comments Perry made on TV while promoting her Prismatic tour Down Under made their way halfway around the world, and Cyrus is not happy.
It all started Monday on Australia’s “Sunrise” program, when one of the hosts riffed off Perry’s hit “I Kissed a Girl” to lead into a discussion of the “Roar” singer’s recent lip-lock with Cyrus during one of the “Wrecking Ball” singer’s shows.
“Scandalous!” Perry joked, before explaining what went down….Read more >>> LATimes
Note: Use Lois Lerner story only if the new photos of Miley Cyrus don’t come in by deadline. Bump this, see if there’s any room for it next week, thanks. –Ed. Move to Page D 17, bottom of page: “Emails Show IRS Lois Lerner Specifically Targeted Tea Party”
Stephen Dinan and Seth McLaughlin report: Lois G. Lerner, the woman at the center of the Internal Revenue Service scandal over special scrutiny of conservative groups, specifically targeted tea party applications and directed that they be held up in 2011 in order to come up with an agency policy, according to several of Ms. Lerner’s emails released by a House committee Thursday.
In one 2011 email, Ms. Lerner specifically calls the tea party applications for tax-exempt status problematic, which seems to counter Democrats’ arguments that tea party groups weren’t targeted.
“Tea Party Matter very dangerous,” Ms. Lerner wrote in the 2011 email, saying that those applications could end up being the “vehicle to go to court” to get more clarity on a 2010 Supreme Court ruling on campaign finance rules.
In another email, from 2012, Ms. Lerner acknowledges that the agency’s handling of the tax-exempt applications had been bungled at the beginning, though she said steps had been taken to correct problems.
“It is what it is,” she wrote in the email, released Thursday by the Ways and Means Committee. “Although the original story isn’t as pretty as we’d like, once we learned [that we were] off track, we have done what we can to change the process, better educate our staff and move the cases. So, we will get dinged, but we took steps before the ‘dinging’ to make things better and we have written procedures.”
In another 2012 email, Ms. Lerner seemed to take sides in a battle between theFederal Election Commission and conservative tax-exempt groups that were engaging in politics, saying “perhaps the FEC will save the day.”
The IRS inspector general this year released a report finding that the agency had singled out conservative groups for special scrutiny and asked intrusive questions about their activities. Read the rest >>>
- Surprise: Lois Lerner Takes The Fifth Again; Darrel Issa Releases Seven Questions The Former IRS Head Refuses To Answer (downtrend.com)
- After Getting Busted In a Huge Lie Fox News Is Shocked that Lois Lerner Won’t Testify (politicususa.com)
- BREAKING: Lois Lerner Refuses to Answer Questions Before Congress, Pleads the Fifth Again – Katie Pavlich (coralvillecourier.typepad.com)
- Lois Lerner Pleads The Fifth At IRS Hearing (huffingtonpost.com)
- IRS Villain Lois Lerner risks ARREST after pleading Fifth for a second time at IRS Tea-Party targeting hearing!! (kristiann1.com)
- Uncertainty Remains Over Testimony Of Lois Lerner, Former Top IRS Official (huffingtonpost.com)
- Lois Lerner Refuses to Answer Questions Before Congress, Pleads the Fifth Again (nation.foxnews.com)
- Issa, Democrats Clash at IRS Hearing After Lerner Pleads Fifth (republicbroadcasting.org)
- Former IRS Official Lois Lerner IS talking… (irsresolutionattorney.com)
- Not a Smidgen? Lois Lerner Again Refuses to Answer Questions Regarding Obama IRS’s Targeting of the Tea Party (tomfernandez28.com)