Emily Miller: Obama’s Surgeon General Nominee Dr. Vivek Murthy is a Radical Gun GrabberPosted: March 10, 2014
Emily Miller writes: President Obama is using every executive power in his arsenal to infringe on Second Amendment rights.
The group calls gun violence “a public health crisis.” It pushes for Congress to ban “assault weapons” and “high-capacity” magazines and calls for spending tax dollars for more gun-control research.
“Dr. Murthy sidestepped the questions about his gun-control agenda from committee members throughout the hearing…However, Mr. Murthy’s Twitter timeline is chock full of his anti-firearm screed.”
The organization also lobbies for doctors to be allowed to ask patients, including minors, whether they have legal guns in the home. If the patient admits to having guns, Dr. Murthy wants doctors to “counsel them appropriately about safety measures.”
Gun rights advocates and many families view this policy as a violation of privacy.
At a hearing before the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committeelast week, Sen. Lamar Alexander asked Dr. Murthy about public comments on firearms, such as a tweet from before the 2012 president election that said, “Tired of politicians playing politics w/ guns, putting lives at risk b/c they’re scared of NRA. Guns are a health care issue.”
Mr. Alexander, the ranking Republican on the committee, told Dr. Murthy that “Americans have a First Amendment right to advocate the Second Amendment — or any other amendment. And the Second Amendment is not a special interest group, it’s part of our Constitution.”
The Tennessee senator added that, “If your goal is to make guns the bully pulpit of your advocacy in the surgeon general’s office, that would concern me.”
Dr. Murthy sidestepped the questions about his gun-control agenda from committee members throughout the hearing.
However, Mr. Murthy’s Twitter timeline is chock full of his anti-firearm screed.
“NRA press conference disappointing but predictable – blame everything in the world except guns for the Newtown tragedy. #wakeup,” he wrote in Dec. 2012….
- Obama Surgeon General Nominee is Anti-Gun Activist that Wants Doctors to Ask About Guns in Your Home (gunsnfreedom.com)
- NRA Opposes Nomination of British-Born, Anti-Gun Obamacare Agitator for Surgeon General (bearingarms.com)
- Of course: Obama’s nominee for Surgeon General is saying ridiculous things about guns (youngcons.com)
- Careful What You Tell Your Doctors (antzinpantz.wordpress.com)
- COLOR ME SHOCKED: Obama Surgeon General Nominee is a Radical, Gun-Grabbing Kook (directorblue.blogspot.com)
- Obama Nominee For Surgeon General Says Banning Guns Is Part of Medicine… (thelastgreatstand.com)
- Obama Surgeon General Pick Wants Doctors to Ask Patients About Guns in Home – Include Info in Obamacare Database (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Obama’s Radical Nominee For Surgeon General Wants Doctors To Ask Patients About Guns In Home (patdollard.com)
- Obama Surgeon General Pick Wants Doctors to Find Out if Patients Own Guns (tomohalloran.com)