Russian Deputy Prime Minister Laughs at Obama’s SanctionsPosted: March 17, 2014
The Obama administration hit 11 Russian and Ukrainian officials with sanctions today as punishment for Russia’s support of Crimea’s referendum. Among them: aides to President Vladimir Putin, a top government official, senior lawmakers, Crimean officials, the ousted president of Ukraine, and a Ukrainian politician and businessman allegedly tied to violence against protesters in Kiev.
It remains to be seen whether the sanctions will dissuade Russia from annexing Crimea, but one an early clue that they will not be effective came just hours later when President Putin signed a decree recognizing Crimea as an independent state, perhaps an early step towards annexation.
U.S. official have warned of additional sanctions for Russian action, hoping it will deter Russia from any further aggression towards Ukraine, but it didn’t appear to upset the often outspoke Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin.
Rogozin, a friend of actor Steven Seagal, took to Twitter to tweak Obama, tweeting he thinks “some prankster” came up with the sanctions list
In a later tweet addressed to “Comrade @BarackObama,” he asked, “what should do those who have neither accounts nor property abroad? Or U didn’t think about it?”
- Russia deputy PM mocks Western sanctions (itv.com)
- Sanctioned Russian Officials Tell ‘Comrade Obama’ to Get Bent on Twitter (mediaite.com)
- Russian Sanctioned By White House Responds On Twitter To “Comrade Obama” (gyggrey.wordpress.com)
- EU and US impose sanctions after Crimea vote (dawn.com)
- Russian Politician Mocks “Comrade Obama” After U.S. Slaps Him With Meaningless Sanctions… (weaselzippers.us)
- Breaking News: West imposes sanctions over Crimea (crosbyherald.co.uk)
- US and EU impose asset freezes, travel bans after Crimea vote (irishtimes.com)
- ZeroHedge: Russian Sanctioned By White House Responds On Twitter To “Comrade Obama” (silveristhenew.com)
- Russia sanctioned over Crimea annex (skynews.com.au)
- Putin Declares Crimea ‘Sovereign and Independent’ (theepochtimes.com)