Obama’s Anti-Gun Surgeon General Choice Has Some Questionable CredentialsPosted: March 29, 2014 | |
Half of the specialists at Obama Surgeon General pick’s own hospital finished residency before him
The Daily Caller‘s Patrick Howley reports: President Obama’s pick to become the next U.S. Surgeon General might have to explain his credentials a bit. Half of the doctors who work in his specialty at his own hospital finished residency before him.
Dr. Vivek Murthy, 36, was nominated by President Obama for the Surgeon General post last November, but Democrats are backing off from his nomination reportedly due to his well-documented anti-gun advocacy. But his relative lack of medical experience might also come up in a confirmation hearing.
Murthy is listed as a Hospitalist and Hospitalist Service specialist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, having completed his residency in internal medicine there in 2006. Of the 42 listed Hospitalist Service specialists at Brigham and Women’s, 21 doctors finished residency before Murthy.
Three fellow specialists finished residency at Brigham and Women’s the same year as Murthy and two of them are also Harvard Medical School instructors like Murthy. Additionally, eleven doctors in the specialty, formed at the hospital in 1998, have completed fellowships, which Murthy has not. The most experienced Hospitalist Service specialist at the hospital finished his residency in 1975, before Murthy was born.
Murthy is a staunch left-wing activist who would bring a record of political advocacy to the role currently held on an acting basis by Boris Lushniak.
As president and co-founder of the activist group Doctors for America, spun off from the 2008 group Doctors for Obama, Murthy was one of the leading activists countering anti-Obamacare medical associations during the push to pass the health care reform law.
Murthy’s group even organized a doctor photo op on the White House lawn at a 2009 event in conjunction with the pro-Obama advocacy group Organizing for America, which was later rebranded Organizing for Action. Murthy also served in an official capacity on the Obama Health Policy Advisory Committee for Obama’s 2008 campaign, and canvassed in Florida during the 2012 election….read more…
- Half of the specialists at Obama Surgeon General pick’s own hospital finished residency before him (gopthedailydose.com)
- Vivek Murthy, gun politics and public health (aoav.org.uk)
- NRA Takes Aim at Obama’s Anti-Gun Surgeon General Nominee Vivek Murthy (breitbart.com)
- Obama’s Surgeon General Nominee Advocates Guns are a Healthcare Issue (godfatherpolitics.com)
- Emily Miller: Obama’s Surgeon General Nominee Dr. Vivek Murthy is a Radical Gun Grabber (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Obama’s Surgeon General Nominee Advocates Guns are a Healthcare Issue (lunaticoutpost.com)
- Doctors ‘Aghast’ That Surgeon General Nominee Blocked For Gun Control Views (commonhealth.wbur.org)
- Why Vivek Murthy Scares the NRA (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Vivek Murthy Shouldn’t Be Confirmed as Surgeon General (bighealthreport.com)
- The surgeon general nominee: Both the NRA and Vivek Murthy are wrong (urlinkedup.wordpress.com)