‘Environmentalism Has Become a Religion’ Says James Lovelock, Father of The Modern Green MovementPosted: March 31, 2014 | |
James Delingpole writes: Environmentalism has become a “religion” – and “religions don’t worry too much about facts” says scientist James Lovelock, father of the modern green movement.
Interviewed in the Guardian on the day of the IPCC’s latest report, Lovelock also praises nuclear power as “an extraordinary gift to humans” and dismisses criticisms of it as “propaganda”:
“I’m a scientist and an inventor, and it is absurd to reject nuclear energy,” he says. “It all comes from the religious side. They feel guilty about dropping atom bombs on people. Here was this extraordinary gift given to humans – a safe, cheap source of power – and it gets horribly abused right at the start.
We’re still playing out the guilt feelings about it. But it’s sad because we in Britain could now be having cheap energy if we’d gone on building [nuclear power stations].”
Nuclear waste? “It isn’t a problem,” he insists. “Sandy and I were invited to France, and we stood on 25 years of nuclear waste at La Hague. I had my own handheld monitor to check whether they were bullshitting me about it, and it was showing about the same reading as I was getting in this room. It was completely safe.
The Swiss did a study of the number of deaths per year in all the various power systems, and nuclear beats everything.” What about the meltdown at Fukushima in 2011? “That’s the most amazing collection of lies ever known,” he says. “There is virtually no wildlife damage anywhere near Fukushima. Levels [of radiation] are much too low. Nobody was killed, nobody was even hurt, so what was all the fuss about? It’s all propaganda. People badmouth nuclear so nobody dares use it.”
His remarks will infuriate those in the green movement who once saw Lovelock as a role model. Besides having invented “Gaia theory” , Lovelock was once at the forefront of the climate alarmism, warning in 2007 that “Billions of us will die; few breeding pairs of people that survive will be in Arctic.” …read more…
- James Lovelock: environmentalism has become a religion (theguardian.com)
- Father of the ‘Gaia hypothesis’ James Lovelock: environmentalism has become a religion (wattsupwiththat.com)
- James Lovelock: environmentalism has become a religion (greentomorrows.wordpress.com)
- Amen: (brothersjuddblog.com)
- James Lovelock: environmentalism has become a religion (informativestats.com)
- Gaia visionary advocates city living to sit out worst extremes of climate change (independent.co.uk)
- Lovelock at 94; Gaia at Several Billion. – Tim Veater (inquiringminds.cc)
- James Lovelock: ‘enjoy life while you can: in 20 years global warming will hit the fan’ (pg1glt.wordpress.com)
- James Lovelock: ‘Instead of robots taking over the world, what if we join with them?’ (greentomorrows.wordpress.com)