UPDATE: Boy-Crazy Tacoma Math Teacher Meredith Powell: FORTH Student Comes Forward to Allege Sexual MisconductPosted: April 5, 2014
According to the updated charging documents, Powell engaged in a sexual act with a then-17-year-old student in her classroom after he expressed a desire to raise his math grade.
“…he needed help getting his grade up and she asked what he would want to do. He said he would do anything. ‘You’ll do anything?’ …and reached over and unzipped his pants…”
TACOMA, Wash. — KOMO News‘s Michael Harthorne reports: A fourth student has come forward alleging sexual abuse at the hands of a 24-year-old former math teacher at Lincoln High School, according to new charges filed Thursday with Pierce County Superior Court.
Meredith Powell was arrested in February and charged with two counts of child rape and one count of communication with a minor for immoral purposes. According to the original charges, Powell engaged in sexual activity — often in her classroom — with three students between the ages of 15 and 17 and sent inappropriate text messages and photos. Powell’s alleged misconduct came to light when she wrote a letter apologizing to the girlfriend of one of the abused students, according to the charging documents. [NSFW Powell court document detailing confessed abuse] She now faces a fourth charge, sexual misconduct with a minor. According to the updated charging documents, Powell engaged in a sexual act with a then-17-year-old student in her classroom after he expressed a desire to raise his math grade. [The girlfriend letter: “Obviously nothing physical or emotional ever happened between (the boy) and I, nor would it ever…”]
The new victim told his mother about what happened after she noticed a change in his behavior and saw news reports about Powell’s arrest. Detectives met with the victim last week. Powell, who has been with the school district since September 2012, was placed on unpaid leave following her arrest. She has since resigned. She has pleaded not guilty to the charges….(read more) And from the Daily Mail (they love this stuff) in the U.K.
Police said Powell began a relationship with the three students – who are between the ages of 15 and sixteen – in January.
Powell allegedly told police the relationships began when she was intoxicated and sent a text to the students, saying they were ‘hot’, following back-and-forth communication.
Powell said she apologized to the students the next morning, and also sent a letter to one of the defendant’s girlfriends in an attempt to explain what happened.
After interviewing the victims, who said they had sexual contact with Powell behind a lock door in her classroom, police again interviewed Powell.
She allegedly admitted to engaging in oral sex with one of the students and other sex acts with another at different times in late January.
She also sent at least one of the victims a Snapchat photo of her in the bathtub.
She told police she knew her actions were wrong, and that she would apologize to the student’s parents if she could.
Powell was hired by the Tacoma Public School district in September 2012.
- The Meredith Powell Letter: “Obviously nothing physical or emotional ever happened between (the boy) and I, nor would it ever…” (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Meredith Powell in Custody of Her Mother: Boy-Crazy High School Teacher Accused of Rape Resigns, Surrenders Teaching Certificate (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- New charge for Tacoma teacher accused of having sex with students (mynorthwest.com)
- Libido Update: Boy-Crazy Teacher Meredith Powell Raped Tacoma Teenagers, Police Say (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Behind the math class door: High school teacher admits to classroom sex with two students (dailycaller.com)
- Out of the Shadows: Organization of Female Teachers Dedicated to Woman-Boy Love Pledge Legal Support to Meredith Powell (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- K-12 IMPLOSION UPDATE: Boy-Crazy Teacher Meredith Powell Raped Tacoma Teenagers, Police Say. Rem… (pjmedia.com)