White House: The 77 Cents Wage Gap Figure Isn’t Accurate, But They’ll Use It AnywayPosted: April 8, 2014
The Washington Examiner’s Ashe Schow reports: A White House adviser had to walk back the oft-repeated myth that women make 77 cents on the dollar that men make after being questioned about the figure during a conference call Monday.
While detailing executive actions President Obama plans to take Tuesday regarding equal pay for women, Betsey Stevenson, a member of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, said very defiantly that despite women contributing 44 percent of their household incomes, they continue to make less than men. Obama has declared Tuesday “Equal Pay Day” to highlight his administration’s focus on that issue.
Bonus: From The Weekly Standard:
CBS: WH ‘Roughed Up By Its Own Pay Equity Rhetoric’
“The White House is getting, as you indicated Norah, roughed up by its own pay equity rhetoric,” reported Major Garrett. “In an analysis of White House salaries, which nobody here disputes, shows that the median income of female staffers is 88 percent of that of male staffers.”
“Now the study also showed that men and women with the same White House jobs earn exactly the same salary. Now the White House said its gender pay gap is tied to job experience, education, and hours worked among other factors. This matters because those explanations, according to the Labor Department, explain a good deal of the gender pay gap nationally…(read more)
“They’re stuck at 77 cents on the dollar, and that gender wage gap is seen very persistently across the income distribution, within occupations, across occupations, and we see it when men and women are working side by side doing identical work.”
That sounds awfully specific. Stevenson certainly sounds like she’s saying men and women doing the exact same job are earning very different pay.
Except, as soon as Stevenson was actually questioned about the statistic by McClatchy reporter Lindsay Wise, the White House adviser crumbled, admitting her earlier comments were inaccurate…(read more)
- Here’s Everything Women Could Buy Without The Wage Gap (thedailyblogreport.wordpress.com)
- Cary Brown: The wage gap in Vermont on Equal Pay Day 2014 (vtdigger.org)
- The myth of the gender wage gap (hotair.com)
- Equal Pay Awareness Week brings attention to gender wage gap (michiganjournal.org)
- The 77-Cent Gender Wage Gap Lie (thenewsdoctors.com)
- Liberal feminist Hanna Rosin debunks the myth 77 cents gender pay gap (winteryknight.wordpress.com)
- The bogus statistic that won’t die – and Obama perpetuates it – women do NOT make 77 cents to every dollar a man earns (aei-ideas.org)
- The Gender Wage Gap Lie (debatepolitics.com)
- Wage Gap Myth Exposed – By Feminists (maskulinistblog.wordpress.com)