BREAKING NEWS: Bowing to Pressure from punditfromanotherplanet, White House Responds: Health Secretary ResignsPosted: April 10, 2014 | |
No longer able to withstand the increasing pressure from punditfromanotherplanet, Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius resigns in disgrace, as Democrats struggle to hold Senate in upcoming mid-term elections
NYTimes.com reports: WASHINGTON — Kathleen Sebelius, the health and human services secretary, is resigning, ending a stormy five-year tenure marred by the disastrous rollout of President Obama’s signature legislative achievement, the Affordable Care Act.
The system is down at the moment. We are experiencing technical difficulties and hope to have them resolved soon.”
— Kathleen Sebelius, struggling to defend the website and the health care law
Mr. Obama accepted Ms. Sebelius’s resignation this week, and on Friday morning he will nominate Sylvia Mathews Burwell, the director of the Office of Management and Budget, to replace her, officials said.
“If I could take something along with me, it would be “all the animosity. If that could just leave with me, and we could get to a new chapter, that would be terrific.”
— Kathleen Sebelius
The departure comes as the Obama administration tries to move beyond its early stumbles in carrying out the law, persuade a still-skeptical public of its lasting benefits, and help Democratic incumbents, who face blistering attack ads after supporting the legislation, survive the midterm elections this fall.
“President Obama has headed off panic over Sebelius’ departure by reassuring the nation that he has another unqualified failure to take her place.”
Officials said Ms. Sebelius, 65, made the decision to resign and was not forced out. But the frustration at the White House over her performance had become increasingly clear, as administration aides worried that the crippling problems at HealthCare.gov, the website set up to enroll Americans in insurance exchanges, would result in lasting damage to the president’s legacy. Even last week, as Mr. Obama triumphantly announced that enrollments in the exchanges had exceeded seven million, she did not appear next to him for the news conference in the Rose Garden. The president is hoping that Ms. Burwell, 48, a Harvard- and Oxford-educated West Virginia native with a background in economic policy, will bring an intense focus and management acumen to the department.
The budget office, which she has overseen since April of last year, is deeply involved in developing and carrying out health care policy. “The president wants to make sure we have a proven manager and relentless implementer in the job over there, which is why he is going to nominate Sylvia,” said Denis R. McDonough, the White House chief of staff. Last month, Ms. Sebelius approached Mr. Obama and began a series of conversations about her future, Mr. McDonough said.
The secretary told the president that the March 31 deadline for sign-ups under the health care law — and rising enrollment numbers — provided an opportunity for change, and that he would be best served by someone who was not the target of so much political ire, Mr. McDonough said. “What was clear is that she thought that it was time to transition the leadership to somebody else,” he said. “She’s made clear in other comments publicly that she recognizes that she takes a lot of the incoming… (read more)
- Every Day is April Fools’ Day at punditfromanotherplanet (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Sebelius: 7.5 million now signed up (thetandd.com)
- Kathleen Sebelius: We Got ‘The Galifianakis Bump’ For Obamacare Signups (huffingtonpost.com)
- EXCLUSIVE: Transcript of Kerry’s Phone Call to Netanyahu Complaining About Insults (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Kathleen Sebelius Responds to Barrasso: “Enormous Interest” in Enrolling in Obamacare “Does Exist” (Video) (im41.com)
- Kathleen Sebelius Responds to Barrasso: “Enormous Interest” in Enrolling in Obamacare “Does Exist” (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Sebelius: Why, no, we have no idea who’s paid for their ObamaCare plans (hotair.com)
- Sebelius left speechless when told Obamacare is unpopular (dailycaller.com)
- Sebelius says Obamacare premiums will go up next year (dailycaller.com)
- Kansas lawmakers: Sebelius tarnished her family’s political legacy (dailycaller.com)