[PHOTO] Protest Image of the Day: ‘The First Amendment is Not an Area’Posted: April 10, 2014
As SteynOnline readers well know, in the wake of Seal Team Six, America has also acquired a Bunny Team Six and a Deer Team Six. Now comes news from Nevada ofCattle Team Six. It’s a long-running story of rights to graze on “federal land” vs protection of the “desert tortoise”, but, like so many disputes with American bureaucrats these days, it ends with paramilitary commandos training their weapons on civilians:
Federal snipers with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) trained guns on members of a family yesterday after they dared to stop and take video footage of cattle…
Whoa, hold that thought! “Federal snipers with the Bureau of Land Management”. As I wrote only last week, if someone wants to stroll in to Fort Hood and shoot as many people as he’s minded to, the fellows on the receiving end have to call 911 and wait for the county sheriff to send a couple of deputies – because “the only government department without a military force at its disposal is the military“. But the Bureau of Land Management has snipers.
A few miles up the road, a “First Amendment Area” the BLM set up for rallies like this stood empty, save for a few signs attached to the outside of the orange plastic pen.
One of them read: “1st Amendment is not an area.”
Indeed. The “First Amendment Area” is supposed to be something called “the United States”. If the Bureau of Land Management gets to determine which sliver of turf you can exercise your right to freedom of expression in, then it isn’t freedom of expression at all, is it? I’m less impressed by the First Amendment than I used to be, mainly because I’m having to spend a half-decade in court and a seven-figure sum for the privilege of hearing some judge years down the line inform me that my 270-word blog post is, in fact, permitted under the US constitution. (If you’d like to help lessen the toll of that seven-figure sum, I’d be awfully grateful.) But even so it’s extraordinary that even twerp bureaucrats from the Department of Compliance feel comfortable setting up an “orange plastic pen” labeled “First Amendment Area”. If an anonymous pen-pusher in the permanent bureaucracy can confine the Bill of Rights to tiny enclaves where it will be entirely ineffectual, then there is no Bill of Rights.
By the way, what’s depressing about this is, if the issue worked its way in front of a judges or judges, the genius jurists would undoubtedly rule that, while an 11-foot wide free-speech zone is too narrow an interpretation of the First Amendment, it would be acceptable if you widened it to 17 or 18 feet…(read more)
- OUTRAGED Midwest Farmers Protest EPA Spy Planes Over Iowa Ranches (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Mark Steyn on IRS hearings: ‘You guys wasted your whole time with your revolution’ (dailycaller.com)
- Global Warming Scientist To Be Cross-examined Under Oath [2nd Amendment Texan] (minx.cc)
- Federal judge severely limits Second Amendment rights (dailycaller.com)
- Mark Steyn: Obamacare ‘the greatest act of punitive liberalism’ Democrats have imposed on America (dailycaller.com)
- Breaking: MO House Overrides Gov. Nixon’s Veto of 2nd Amendment Preservation Act! (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Wayne LaPierre: Senate power grab imperils our rights (dailycaller.com)
- MAYBE WE SHOULD AMEND THE FOURTH AMENDMENT BY ADDING THE WORDS AND WE REALLY MEAN IT! Court Upholds… (pjmedia.com)
- 9th Circuit: First Amendment media protections apply to bloggers, too (hotair.com)
- Utah Suing Federal Government (minx.cc)