The Left Is Eating ItselfPosted: April 10, 2014
For Ricochet, Jon Gabriel writes: The Ouroboros is an ancient image showing a large serpent consuming its own tail. Venerated by Greeks, Egyptians and Norsemen of yore, it serves as an apt metaphor for modern American liberalism.
The Democratic coalition was largely built on grievance politics. For decades, progressive leaders divided Americans into subgroups based on race, gender, class, age and sexual orientation. Political leaders were the first to stoke this fire, but educators soon joined in, as did the media, NGOs, big business and popular culture.
This coordinated strategy finally bore fruit with the arrival of the Obama era. Democrats had finally convinced the majority of American voters that Republicans are rich, old, white males who couldn’t possibly care about the poor, the young, women or non-whites.
As President Obama assumed power, his Alinskyite past served as the template for a renewed politics of envy, personal grievance and payback. The One Percent must be punished for their wealth. Traditional marriage supporters are hateful bigots on the wrong side of history. Mitt Romney gave old women cancer and locked the younger ones in binders. “The Cambridge police acted stupidly” and “if I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon.”
As one blogger notes, “Barack Obama thinks his job is to lead the mob, not the country.”
But as is often the case with politics, the Left’s success bore the seeds of its own destruction. Any ideology that stokes anger and neo-Jacobin tactics is innately unsuited to popular governance. It’s a grand time sticking it to The Man until the moment when The Man is you.
And The Man isn’t only in charge of the White House and Senate. He owns a controlling interest in the television industry and movies and technology and classrooms and music and art and sports. What’s a self-styled revolutionary to do once he has eliminated his most prominent enemies?
Create new enemies, of course…(read more)
- Rethinking ‘Rules for Radicals’ (inthesetimes.com)
- For Obama, 2014, Like 2012, a Campaign of Small Hatreds (breitbart.com.feedsportal.com)
- Peter Robinson : As Ricochet 1.0 Exits Stage Right, Democrats in a Perfect Panic (ricochet.com)
- Walsh: White grievance industry ‘uglier,’ ‘more lucrative’ in 2013 (dailycaller.com)
- Sorry Liberals… Whistleblower Gregory Hicks Is Not A Partisan Hack! (thegatewaypundit.com)
- JAMES TARANTO: Speak of the Devil: The silly, sinister campaign against the Koch brothers. Ther… (pjmedia.com)