Defense Minister: U.S. Ground Troops Going to PolandPosted: April 19, 2014
For The Washington Post, FRED HIATT writes: Poland and the United States will announce next week the deployment of U.S. ground forces to Poland as part of an expansion of NATO presence in Central and Eastern Europe in response to events in Ukraine. That was the word from Poland’s defense minister, Tomasz Siemoniak, who visited The Post Friday after meeting with Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel at the Pentagon on Thursday.
Siemoniak said the decision has been made on a political level and that military planners are working out details. There will also be intensified cooperation in air defense, special forces, cyberdefense and other areas. Poland will play a leading regional role, “under U.S. patronage,” he said.
But the defense minister also said that any immediate NATO response to Russian aggression in Ukraine, while important, matter less than a long-term shift in the defense postures of Europe and America. The United States, having announced a “pivot” to Asia, needs to “re-pivot” to Europe, he said, and European countries that have cut back on defense spending need to reverse the trends.
“The idea until recently was that there were no more threats in Europe and no need for a U.S. presence in Europe any more,” Siemoniak said, speaking through an interpreter. “Events show that what is needed is a re-pivot, and that Europe was safe and secure because America was in Europe.”
How likely is such a reversal on defense spending? Siemoniak said there was widespread support at a recent meeting of European defense ministers. “Now they’ll go back to their presidents, prime ministers and ministers of finance, and this will stop being easy,” he admitted. “But the impetus is very strong.”…(read more)
- Poland Fears Putin’s ‘New Russia’ Doctrine (defenseone.com)
- Hagel: US forces to stay in Poland until end of 2014 (stripes.com)
- Poland: NATO Must Ignore Russia, Send Ground Troops (news.antiwar.com)
- U.S., Poland Defense Leaders Find New Areas for Cooperation (defense.gov)
- NATO Ramps Up Its Military Presence in Eastern Europe (defenseone.com)
- Pentagon to extend fighter jets deployment in Poland till end of the year (sofiaglobe.com)
- INTERVIEW-Poland: NATO should send troops to east Europe, ignore Russia’s objections (trust.org)
- there’s something in all this froth which may be of legal significance, or not (redlines) (niqnaq.wordpress.com)
- PressTV: Pentagon: US to send additional “non-lethal” military aid to Ukraine (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- DoD eyes more troops to Poland (politico.com)