Superpowered Autopilot: Pentagon Plans to Replace Flight Crews with Full-Time RobotsPosted: April 24, 2014
For The Washington Times, Douglas Ernst reports: The Pentagon’s research agency tasked with developing breakthrough technologies for national security has come up with a plan for dealing with shrinking budgets: robotic flight crews..
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is currently working on technology that will be able to replace up to five crew members on military aircraft, in effect making the lone human operator a “mission supervisor,” tech magazine Wired reported.
The Aircrew Labor In-Cockpit Automation System (ALIAS) would offer the military a “tailorable, drop-in, removable kit that would enable the addition of high levels of automation into existing aircraft to enable operation with reduced onboard crew,” DARPA said….(read more)
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
- Pentagon’s Superpowered Autopilot Will Do the Work Of 5 Crew Members (infiniteunknown.net)
- US Military hopes AI autopilot can replace flight crews (usahitman.com)
- Pentagon’s Superpowered Autopilot Will Do the Work of 5 Crew Members (cryptogon.com)
- Pentagon Will Replace Flight Crews With Robots – Your Job Next! (lissakr11humane.com)
- US Military hopes AI autopilot can replace flight crews (theunhivedmind.com)
- DARPA’s new autopilot can replace a five-member flight crew (dvice.com)
- US Military hopes AI autopilot can replace flight crews (EndtheLie.com)
- Pentagon Using Man-Sized Robots For “Humanitarian” Work AND… (scmlmag.com)
- DARPA Is Developing The Ultimate Autopilot System (fastcompany.com)
- Lockheed Martin Feels the Pinch (defenseindustrydaily.com)