Washington Post Editors: Keystone XL’s Continued Delay is Cuckoo for Cocoa PuffsPosted: April 24, 2014
Last Friday afternoon, the time when officials make announcements they hope no one will notice, the State Department declared that it is putting off a decision on Keystone XL indefinitely — or at least, it seems, well past November’s midterm elections. This time, the excuse is litigation in Nebraska over the proposed route, because that might lead to a change in the project that various federal agencies will want to consider. The State Department might even decide to substantially restart the environmental review process . This is yet another laughable reason to delay a project that the federal government has been scrutinizing for more than five years.
At this point, there is little doubt about the big picture. After two thorough environmental analyses, State Department experts determined that the pipeline’s impact probably would be minimal, even on climate change-inducing carbon dioxide emissions. The economic rewards of extracting Canadian oil are too attractive and the options for getting it out of the country are too numerous. We would rather see Canadian crude traveling a well-built, well-regulated pipeline in the United States than on the rail cars, barges and ocean tankers that will move it until cheaper options inevitably come online.
That does not mean we like burning dirty oil sands crude. But symbolic gestures will have no impact on climate change. Governments should steadily reduce global carbon dioxide emissions with smart, economy-wide policies such as carbon taxes, which meaningfully and permanently cut demand for carbon-heavy fuels. Alberta’s provincial government, which oversees much of Canada’s oil development, is considering enhancements to its fairly weak carbon price system, which could redress some of the excess emissions associated with pulling the viscous oil out of the ground….(read more)
- Joe Oliver says to keep Keystone XL pipeline issue alive with the White House (business.financialpost.com)
- Wash Post: ‘Keystone XL’s continued delay is absurd’ (climatedepot.com)
- Keystone Follies (nationalreview.com)
- Global warming now literally part of religion (dailycaller.com)
- The Obama administration continues to delay Keystone XL (dailycaller.com)
- Senate Dems urge Obama to approve Keystone XL pipeline (dailycaller.com)
- From ‘Prudent’ to ‘Shameful,’ Latest Keystone Delay Irks Both Sides of the Aisle (pjmedia.com)
- Keystone Pipeline Review Likely to Show Little Climate Risk (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Oh, snap: Union chief calls Obama’s Keystone XL delay “gutless,” “no example of profiles in courage” (hotair.com)