[VIDEO] Pro-Russian Protesters Storm Prosecutor’s Office in Ukraine’s DonetskPosted: May 1, 2014
Pro-Russian protesters stormed the prosecutor’s office in the separatist-held city of Donetsk on Thursday, lobbing stones and smashing windows after accusing the office of working for the Western-backed government in Kiev.
“The prosecutor’s office was issuing criminal orders from Kiev against its own people, charging them with separatism and other fake crimes.”
— Igor, a 43-year-old protester from Donetsk
Donetsk, a city of about 1 million people in Ukraine’s industrial east, is at the center of an armed uprising across the steel and coal belt by mainly Russian-speakers threatening to secede from Ukraine.
The violence, in a city already largely under the control of separatists, underscored the shifting security situation and suspicions in the region.
“The prosecutor’s office was issuing criminal orders from Kiev against its own people, charging them with separatism and other fake crimes,” said one protester, a 43-year-old man from Donetsk who gave his name as Igor.
Interfax-Ukraine news agency said the protesters had allowed security officers inside the building to leave, but that some were wounded. A Reuters reporter saw blood on the ground.
Pro-Russian separatists in the city have declared a “People’s Republic of Donetsk” and say they will hold a referendum on secession on May 11.
Police in the east have largely given up without a fight when confronted with protesters armed with clubs and often well-organized gunmen in masks and military fatigues. But officers often continue to work, in tacit cooperation with separatist leaders who want to maintain order.
(Writing by Matt Robinson, editing by Elizabeth Piper)
- Kiev has lost control of eastern heartland, says Ukraine’s acting leader (telegraph.co.uk)
- Battleground Ukraine: A Comprehensive Summary (From A Russian Perspective) (forum.prisonplanet.com)
- Donetsk referendum wording mentions neither Ukraine nor Russia (miamiherald.com)
- RT: Anti-govt protesters seize TV station in eastern Ukraine, call for own channel (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- Ukraine: Protesters seize buildings (edition.cnn.com)
- Pro-Russian activists seize buildings (cnn.com)
- US ‘to react’ if Russia crosses into Ukraine (tomfernandez28.com)
- Affrontements à Donetsk et Kharkiv – 27 avril 2014 – avec vidéos (berthoalain.com)
- Separatists seize control of TV HQ in east Ukraine city (news.yahoo.com)