Cantor calls for special prosecutor in IRS targeting investigationPosted: May 2, 2014
For The Washington Post, Josh Hicks writes: The House majority leader on Friday called for Attorney General Eric Holder to appoint special counsel to investigate the Internal Revenue Service’s controversial treatment of certain advocacy groups during the past two election cycles.
Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said in a statement on Friday that an independent prosecutor should “bring the appropriate charges against those responsible” for the IRS’s targeting of tax-exemption applicants for extra scrutiny based on their names and policy positions.
“This is far too serious a matter to leave to the discretion of partisan political appointees, no matter who is in the White House,” Cantor said.
The House Ways and Means Committee voted last month along party lines to request that the Justice Department criminally prosecute former IRS official Lois Lerner for her involvement in the screening efforts. Cantor said the agency appears to have “taken no action on this referral.”
Similarly, Rep. Dave Camp (R-Mich.), the panel’s chairman, said he is concerned that the DOJ has “brushed aside this investigation and will not pursue Lerner for the wrongdoing she committed.”(read more)
Follow Josh Hicks on Twitter, Facebook or Google+. Connect by e-mail at josh.hicks(at)washpost.com. Visit The Federal Eye, and The Fed Page for more federal news. Submit news tips and suggestions to email@example.com.
- BREAKING NEWS: REP JORDAN TO INTRODUCE RESOLUTION CALLING FOR SPECIAL COUNSEL TO INVESTIGATE IRS – click to read (gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com)
- Lawyer: Holding Lois Lerner in Contempt of Congress Would Be “Un-American” (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Contempt vote set for next week for Lois Lerner in Congress’ IRS probe (tomfernandez28.com)
- Lois Lerner: Holding Me in Contempt Is ‘Un-American’ (iowntheworld.com)
- Eric Cantor Silent on Immigration in Agenda for House GOP (heritage.org)
- Doj “Mystery Man” Requested Irs Prosecute Conservatives (patriotaction.net)
- Ted Cruz: Impeach Holder over IRS targeting (redalertpolitics.com)
- Lawyer for ex-IRS official asks to address House (wfaa.com)
- Oversight Committee Responds to New Documents Revealing Lois Lerner and DOJ’s Plan to Persecute Conservative Groups (thegatewaypundit.com)
- ABUSE OF POWER: Breaking: New Emails Show Lois Lerner Contacted DOJ About Prosecuting Conservative… (pjmedia.com)