Officials: 17 Treated after Overdosing on Synthetic Marijuana in Downtown AustinPosted: May 4, 2014 | |
As of 3 p.m., Austin-Travis County EMS had treated 17 people in the past 55 hours for health issues related to the use of the drug. Some had seizures while others lost consciousness. Many became disoriented, and EMS said some became violent.
All incidents have been centralized around Downtown Austin. The most recent incident occurred at 8:35 a.m. Friday on East Seventh Street near San Jacinto Boulevard, EMS and police said.
Austin police said they increased patrols in the downtown area and announced that they had made narcotics arrests in Downtown Austin that caused a disruption to the sale of K2 there. Officers arrested several people on drug possession charges and warrants, many of whom were in possession of suspected synthetic marijuana, officials said. Those suspects were not identified Friday, and the suspected drugs were being tested, police said.
Police had not identified a specific brand of the drug, which is sold under various brand names.
EMS saw people showing symptoms of an altered mental state, including hallucinations, delusions and aggressive behavior…(read more)
- Synthetic drug overdoses lead to violence, arrests downtown (kvue.com)
- Synthetic drug overdoses in Austin lead to violence, arrests (kens5.com)
- Police crack down after surge in K2 cases (kxan.com)
- Apparent synthetic drugs make 15 sick in Austin (khou.com)
- Apparent synthetic drugs make 15 sick in Austin (star-telegram.com)
- Synthetic drug overdoses lead to violence, arrests (khou.com)
- Police respond to 15 potential synthetic marijuana overdoses (kvue.com)
- Two more K2 overdoses Friday night; 19 in 3 days (txwclp.org)
- More than 30 overdose on synthetic marijuana in a day in Dallas (khou.com)