McDonalds Hires 7,000 Touch-Screen CashiersPosted: May 10, 2014
Would you like some microchips with that burger? McDonald’s Europe strikes another blow against human interaction by installing 7,000 touch-screen computers to take your order and money.
“Welcome to McDonald’s . My name is HAL 9000. May I take your order?”
Amanda Kooser writes: McDonalds recently went on a hiring binge in the U.S., adding 62,000 employees to its roster. The hiring picture doesn’t look quite so rosy for Europe, where the fast food chain is drafting 7,000 touch-screen kiosks to handle cashiering duties.
The move is designed to boost efficiency and make ordering more convenient for customers. In an interview with the Financial Times, McDonald’s Europe President Steve Easterbrook notes that the new system will also open up a goldmine of data. McDonald’s could potentially track every Big Mac, McNugget, and large shake you order. A calorie account tally at the end of the year could be a real shocker.
The touch screens will only accept debit or credit cards, adding to the slow death knell of cash and coins. This all goes along with an overall revamp of McDonald’s restaurants worldwide aimed at projecting a modern image as opposed to the old-fashioned golden arches with a slightly creepy (to my taste anyway) clown guy hanging around the french fries.
This puts McDonald’s one step closer to opening up its first Alphaville location. At least our new computer overlords will be nice enough to serve us a Filet-o-Fish. Maybe they’ll even throw in an iPad with the Happy Meal one of these days.
- McDonald’s US sales flat in April (nzherald.co.nz)
- Massachusetts’ McDonald’s is Hiring Cashiers…But Only College Graduates Need Apply’ (blackamericaweb.com)
- McDonald greeted warmly in return to Toronto (mlb.mlb.com)
- McDonald’s Job Posting Causes Stir (huffingtonpost.com)
- McDonald’s To Add Lab-Grown ‘Chicken’ McNuggets To Its Menu (worldtruth.tv)
- McDonald’s tests seasoned french fries (whas11.com)
- The Dying Dollar (McDonald’s Menu Edition) (economicpolicyjournal.com)
- McDonald’s Hires 7,000 Touch-screen Cashiers (libertycrier.com)