Francis Bacon Work Could Fetch $80MPosted: May 13, 2014
NEW YORK (AP) — A triptych by Francis Bacon of his longtime companion is poised to sell for about $80 million at Christie’s as the spring art auction season revs up with sales of postwar and contemporary works.
A provocative image by Andy Warhol of the 1963 Birmingham, Alabama, race riots and a seminal painting by Jean-Michel Basquiat of a regal warrior figure are among other big-ticket items coming up for sale Tuesday evening.
Bacon’s “Three Studies for a Portrait of John Edwards” was executed in 1984 and comes on the market a year after Christie’s sold his 1969 “Three Studies of Lucian Freud” for $142.4 million, setting a world record for the most expensive artwork ever sold at auction.
Bacon, who died in 1992, named Edwards his sole heir. Edwards oversaw the British artist’s archives until his death in 2003. The three-panel work shows him in a relaxed pose sitting on a stool with his right leg crossed over his left knee.
Christie’s says it is one of the greatest paintings from the artist’s late period.
Warhol’s “Race Riot, 1964,” a rare four-panel painting from his “Death and Disaster” series, is estimated to sell for $45 million. It was a direct response to an article Warhol saw in Life magazine that ran with an image by Associated Press Photographer Charles Moore…(read more)
- Christie’s to auction portrait by Francis Bacon (panarmenian.net)
- Francis Bacon painting of Lucian Freud expected to sell for over $85m at auction (independent.co.uk)
- Warhol painting fetches record $105M at NYC auction (foxnews.com)
- Francis Bacon portrait of his muse, lover expected to sell at auction for almost $50 million (vancouversun.com)
- Francis Bacon triptych sells for record-breaking $142.4 million at NYC auction (vancouversun.com)
- Zhang Daqian’s ‘Lotus’ Sells for $10.4 Million (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Andy Warhol Art Set To Fetch Millions (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Monet, Other Art from Big Collectors Lead Auctions (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- ‘The Scream’ fetches record $119.9M at NYC auction (dailycaller.com)