Kirsten Powers: Welcome to the New Dark AgePosted: May 15, 2014
Each week seems to bring another incident. Who will the thought police come for next?
How ironic that the persecutors this time around are the so-called intellectuals. They claim to be liberal while behaving as anything but. The touchstone of liberalism is tolerance of differing ideas. Yet this mob exists to enforce conformity of thought and to delegitimize any dissent from its sanctioned worldview. Intolerance is its calling card.
Each week seems to bring another incident. Last week it was David and Jason Benham, whose pending HGTV show was canceled after the mob unearthed old remarks the brothers made about their Christian beliefs on homosexuality. People can’t have a house-flipping show unless they believe and say the “right” things in their life off the set? In this world, the conservative Tom Selleck never would have been Magnum, P.I.
This week, a trail-blazing woman was felled in the new tradition of commencement shaming. International Monetary Fund Managing Director Christine Lagardewithdrew from delivering the commencement speech at Smith College following protests from students and faculty who hate the IMF. According to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, this trend is growing. In the 21 years leading up to 2009, there were 21 incidents of an invited guest not speaking because of protests. Yet, in the past five-and-a-half years, there have been 39 cancellations.
Don’t bother trying to make sense of what beliefs are permitted and which ones will get you strung up in the town square. Our ideological overlords have created a minefield of inconsistency. While criticizing Islam is intolerant, insulting Christianity is sport. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is persona non grata at Brandeis University for attacking the prophet Mohammed. But Richard Dawkins describes the Old Testament God as “a misogynistic … sadomasochistic … malevolent bully” and the mob yawns. Bill Maher calls the same God a “psychotic mass murderer” and there are no boycott demands of the high-profile liberals who traffic his HBO show…(read more)
- The mob (respublica.typepad.com)
- Benghazi: Oh, What Tangled Webs We Weave (aleksandreia.com)
- Kirsten Powers: Liberals Shun Opposing Views Because They’re Used to Controlling the Media (newsbusters.org)
- Heresy charges mount against Marco Rubio (babalublog.com)
- Kirsten Powers: Kickstarter’s Gosnell Censorship Part of Liberal ‘Mob Rule’ (breitbart.com)
- Liberal Kirsten Powers tells O’Reilly Obama is lying on Benghazi (gopthedailydose.com)
- Boom: Kirsten Powers slams lapdog media for failure to hold Obama et al. accountable (twitchy.com)
- Brandeis withdraws honorary degree for Islam critic Ayaan Hirsi Ali (theguardian.com)
- Kirsten Powers slams vile lefties slurring Ayaan Hirsi Ali as an ‘Islamophobe’ (twitchy.com)
- A Response to Kirsten Powers on Arizona (nationalreview.com)