[VIDEO] Glenn Greenwald on Meet The Press: Traitor Label ‘Badge of Honor’Posted: May 18, 2014
“One of the most encouraging aspects of the story has been that there has been a complete breakdown in the traditional, standard divisions between left and right or conservative and liberal, Republican and Democrat…”
Glenn Greenwald appeared on Meet the Press, things ended poorly for David Gregory. On Sunday morning, Greenwald appeared on the show for the first time since the contretemps, though NBC put two layers between Greenwald and Gregory, having justice correspondent Pete Williams conduct the interview and fielding the questions from social media.
“…There has been this extremely inspiring bipartisan coalition that has emerged that has demanded that there be constraints imposed on the NSA.”
[Glenn Greenwald‘s book: No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State is available from Amazon.com]
The most pointed question asked how Greenweld reconciled his comparison of NSA leaker Edward Snowden to Pentagon Papers leaker Daniel Ellsberg, given that Ellsberg stayed to face trial while Snowden fled the U.S. and eventually defected to Russia. He quoted Ellsberg’s op-ed arguing that the justice system had become considerably harsher toward whistleblowers. “If Edward Snowden were to go on trial, he would be rendered incommunicado, he would not be released on bail, he couldn’t argue his case to the public,” Greenwald said.
Greenwald also got a question about potential legislative fixes to the NSA abuses he and Snowden revealed.
“One of the most encouraging aspects of the story has been that there has been a complete breakdown in the traditional, standard divisions between left and right or conservative and liberal, Republican and Democrat,” he responded. “There has been this extremely inspiring bipartisan coalition that has emerged that has demanded that there be constraints imposed on the NSA.”
- NBC News Interviews Greenwald with Questions from Social Media, not David Gregory (mediaite.com)
- Greenwald: ‘Extremely Inspiring Bipartisan Coalition’ Has Emerged Against NSA Spying (dailycaller.com)
- Glen Greenwald Wins Pulitzer Prize for Exposing NSA Spy Scandal; His Reaction on Video; My Reaction: Greenwald and Snowden are Heroes (globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com)
- 5 key takeaways from Glenn Greenwald’s new book about the NSA (dailydot.com)
- Glenn Greenwald: U.S. Corporate Media Is “Neutered, Impotent And Obsolete” (libertycrier.com)
- Greenwald: Bush v. Clinton in ’16 Is a Return to the Monarchy We Threw Off (nationalreview.com)
- Did NBC Pull David Gregory Off Greenwald’s Sunday Interview After Last Year’s Confrontation? (dailycaller.com)
- Greenwald vs. Gregory (nationalreview.com)
- David Gregory to Glenn Greenwald: “Why Shouldn’t You, Mr. Greenwald, Be Charged With a Crime?” (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Glenn Greenwald Rips Obama on ‘FOX and Friends’ – Says Laptop Was Stolen From His Home (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)