It’s On: Obamacare Failures May Put Oregon Senate Seat in Play for GOPPosted: May 19, 2014
Obamacare’s failure in Oregon may make incumbent Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR) vulnerable this year, and Republicans have two candidates battling for the nomination who will make it difficult for Democrats to frame them in the fall as “cold-hearted” or to play the “war on women” card.
Jason Conger, a pro-life two-term representative in the Oregon State House, has an inspirational life story in a party the mainstream press have lambasted as being the party for rich people who look down on the “47%.”
“It’s a 2,700 page law, 20,000 pages of regulations now — it’s impossible to work with this law. I think the best way is to repeal and replace with a plan that will actually work.”
— Monica Wehby
Monica Wehby, the pro-choice frontrunner in the race, as Fox News noted, is a pediatric neurosurgeon who “was the first woman to graduate from UCLA’s neurosurgery program.” She also “was an early critic of Obamacare” and even “featured in a 2009 ad opposing the Affordable Care Act.”
“It’s a 2,700 page law, 20,000 pages of regulations now — it’s impossible to work with this law,” Wehby has said. “I think the best way is to repeal and replace with a plan that will actually work.”
The Oregonian notes that after reports that Wehby’s ex-boyfriend, Andrew Miller, accused her of “stalking” and “harassing” him last year, Conger said during a debate last Friday that Wehby’s candidacy could pose risks. Adding another wrinkle, Miller, the ex-boyfriend, has donated $31,000 to a super PAC that has unleashed negative attacks against Conger.
“We can’t afford to take a risk of throwing this election away,” Conger said while closing Friday’s debate, according to the newspaper.
Merkley’s Senate seat may be in play because Cover Oregon, the state’s exchange, folded just months after its launch and failed to enroll one person, despite receiving at least $465 million in taxpayer funds. The Portland Tribune observed that “it’s very clear the DSCC is worried about Merkley’s re-election chances.”…(read more)
- Jason Conger raises questions about Monica Wehby’s judgment as City Club debate ends in unusual fashion (oregonlive.com)
- Oregon Republican Senate Race (themoderatevoice.com)
- Poll: Monica Wehby Putting Portlandia in Play (nationalreview.com)
- Red Oregon? (legalinsurrection.com)
- Oh my: GOP challenger leads Dem incumbent Jeff Merkley – in Oregon (hotair.com)
- Video: Time for another solid ad from Dr. Monica Wehby in Oregon (hotair.com)
- “We Get It Oregon – You People Live in a Cartoon” (powerlineblog.com)
- ‘Have a tissue handy’: New ad from Ore. GOP senate hopeful Monica Wehby strikes ‘powerful’ chord (twitchy.com)
- [VIDEO] Dr. Monica Wehby’s Campaign Challenge: ‘Keep your Doctor, Change Your Senator’ (punditfromanotherplanet.com)