Sanity Outbreak: Swiss Voters Overwhelmingly Reject World’s Highest Minimum WagePosted: May 19, 2014
Geneva (AFP) – Swiss voters on Sunday rejected a proposal to introduce the world’s highest minimum wage, which would have guaranteed every worker in one of the world’s priciest nations at least $25 an hour.
…the initiative flopped as voters heeded warnings from government and other opponents that it would deal a death blow to many businesses and would weaken Switzerland’s healthy economy…
A proposal to introduce a minimum wage so high it could pass for mid-management pay elsewhere, was rejected by 76,3 percent of Swiss voters.
…Swiss voters also overwhelmingly voted in favour of harsh laws against convicted paedophiles, with 63.5 percent supporting a lifelong ban on them working with children, regardless of the gravity or nature of their crime.
A series of referendums in Switzerland also saw voters nix a multi-billion-dollar deal to buy fighter jets from Sweden and massively support a lifelong ban on convicted paedophiles working with children.
The massive rejection of the “Decent Salary” initiative was widely seen as a slap in the face to its union backers, who insist at least 22 Swiss francs ($25, 18 euros) an hour, or 4,000 francs ($4,515, 3,280 euros) a month, is needed to get by in Switzerland.
If it had passed, Switzerland would have gone from having no national minimum wage to boasting the world’s highest, far above the $7.25 in the United States and 9.43 euros in France.
But the initiative flopped as voters heeded warnings from government and other opponents that it would deal a death blow to many businesses and would weaken Switzerland’s healthy economy.
Swiss Economy Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann hailed the result, insisting the country had dodged a bullet.
Introducing the minimum wage, he told reporters, would have led to “layoffs” and made it “more difficult for people with few qualifications to find a job.”
Farmers, small business owners and employer organisations also welcomed the results…(read more)
- Switzerland votes on world’s highest minimum wage ($25/hr) (bbc.com)
- Swiss voters reject adopting world’s highest minimum wage (thehindu.com)
- Swiss Voters Reject EUR 3300 Minimum Wage (novinite.com)
- Swiss say no to world’s highest minimum wage (thetimes.co.uk)
- Switzerland votes on minimum wage (bbc.co.uk)
- Swiss vote on world’s highest minimum wage (channelnewsasia.com)
- Switzerland rejects world’s highest minimum wage (telegraph.co.uk)
- Swiss reject minimum wage plan (independent.ie)
- Swiss TV: Voters reject minimum wage plan (kansascity.com)
- Swiss Voters Overwhelmingly Reject World’s Highest Minimum Wage (reason.com)