BREAKING: Dinesh D’Souza Pleads Guilty to Violating Campaign Finance LawPosted: May 20, 2014
Author and conservative filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza plead guilty this morning to one count on federal charges detailed in an indictment accusing him of violating campaign finance laws and making false statements. D’Souza admitted in front of the U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, that he did in fact ask two people to make contributions in their name and later reimbursed them, knowing it was not proper under the law.
D’Souza submitted a plea deal on May 19. Judge Richard Berman accepted his guilty plea today and set a sentencing date for September 23, 2014. The government argued attorneys would be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the defendant, D’Souza, is guilty. There will be no trial by jury in this case.
Wendy Long, a New York lawyer who challenged Democratic senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a friend of D’Souza’s from their days at The Dartmouth Review in the 1980s, was not a target of the investigation and didn’t know about the illegal donations at the time. She has just issued a statement upon learning of D’Souza’s plea:
I am heartbroken about this. Dinesh has always been a generous man and a loyal friend who has helped many people. There was never a time when he was trying to do anything but help me personally, support my U.S. Senate campaign, and advance the ideals of freedom that we share. The statute that the government has used to target him is unconstitutional. When our government criminalizes the very free speech that the First Amendment was written to protect, sends people to prison for simply exercising their constitutional rights, and when government power is wielded like weapon against political enemies, we are all in trouble. There is no corruption here, and this entire episode is a shameful government overreach and a violation of the U.S. Constitution.
“Guilty your honor,” D’Souza said, adding that he deeply regrets his actions.
“The plea is now accepted and Mr. D’Souza is now guilty under the indictment,” Berman replied.
By entering a guilty plea, D’Souza waived his right to appeal and his right to sentence modification or reduction….(read more)
- Dinesh D’Souza indicted, charged with making illegal campaign contributions (twitchy.com)
- “Schindler’s List” Producer Gerald Molen: “I Never Feared My Government Until Now” (thegatewaypundit.com)
- 9 Violent Criminals Who Paid Less for Bail Than Filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Obama critic indicted for campaign-finance fraud, obstruction (hotair.com)
- Video: Dinesh D’Souza on Ants vs. Termites in American Politics (pjmedia.com)
- Dinesh D’Souza Releases Trailer for “America” (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- SELECTIVE PROSECUTION: Alan Dershowitz Rises To The Defense of Dinesh D’Souza. And he’s not the on… (pjmedia.com)