Crisis: ‘Unprecedented’ Number of Young Illegal Immigrants Pouring Over U.S. BorderPosted: May 27, 2014 | |
For the Washington Examine, Paul Bedard reports: A city-sized rush of about 120,000 illegal immigrant children and teens from Latin America is expected to crash through the U.S. border this year, twice the administration’s prediction, leading humanitarians to seek much more than the $1.5 billion spent to handle the runaways.
“It’s a city of children.”
U.S. authorities report that there was massive surge in May of children trying to escape crime, drug gangs and sexual exploitation in Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, leading them to cast aside the administration’s prediction of 60,000, which was still more than twice the 24,000 apprehended last year.
“It’s a city of children,” said Annie Wilson, executive vice president for Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS), a national group that works with the government to settle child refugees and exiles.
“It’s 100,000 kids on their feet walking out of their country,” she said, adding that the numbers are “unprecedented” and due more to avoiding threats back home than the lure of America.
“In desperation, people have chosen the impossible odds of fleeing over what seems like the certainty of death and fear,” added Rev. David Vasquez, a campus pastor for Luther College in Decorah, Iowa, and an immigration advocate.
LIRS on Tuesday announced a new campaign, dubbed “#ActOfLove,” to win added funding. It also sent a petition to President Obama, House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid seeking emergency funds and better protections for the children…(read more)
Paul Bedard, the Washington Examiner’s “Washington Secrets” columnist, can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Obama Releases 36,000 Criminal Illegal Immigrants to the Streets (conservativeread.com)
- Pentagon eyeing immigrants who arrived illegally (glblgeopolitics.wordpress.com)
- Amnesty’s price: $12,433 for every legalized immigrant household… (washingtonexaminer.com)
- Joe Garcia gets in America Rising’s crosshairs (again) with ‘Communism works’ line (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- U.S. Setting Up Emergency Shelter in Texas as Youths Cross Border Alone (usahitman.com)
- Residents want more manpower as they claim illegal crossings has increased (valleycentral.com)