[VIDEO] American Who Joined Syrian Rebels Becomes First Known US Suicide BomberPosted: May 30, 2014
RT USA reports: Social media posts by an Al-Qaeda affiliate claim a man named Abu Hurayra Al-Amriki (Abu Hurayra the American) blew himself up in an attack in Syria. US officials say he is the first-known American suicide bomber in the civil-war besieged country.
On Sunday, four men from the Al-Nusra Front, a jihadist organization aligned with Al-Qaeda, carried out suicide bombings on army positions in Idlib province, AFP reported. Dozens were killed or wounded, though exact numbers of casualties are still unknown.
Abu Sulayman al Muhajir, one of the top sharia officials in the Al-Nusra Front, according to The Long War Journal, tweeted about the involvement of an American man in the coordinated suicide attacks on Tuesday.
Abu Hurayra Al-Amriki Performed a martydom operation in Idlib, Jabal Al-Arba’een. May Allah accept him pic.twitter.com/MeewywKqDD
— أبو سليمان المهاجر (@abusulayman321) May 27, 2014
A Sunday tweet from Al-Nusra’s Twitter feed appears to show the same man – a light-skinned Caucasian – sitting with three other men and wearing a bomb vest.
— Syria Direct (@SyriaDirect) May 28, 2014
According to Google Translate, the original Al-Nusra tweet translates to “# _ Front victory in cooperation with the # Hawks _ Sham performs four martyrdom operations in Mount _ # # forty Idlib.”
US law enforcement and counterterrorism officials confirmed the suicide bombing to NBC News and said they have identified the American, but would not release his identity or hometown.
Syrian rebel sources based in London told NBC News that other jihadi tweets suggest the American was of Palestinian descent.
Any identity can’t be confirmed until remains are recovered or examined, a US law enforcement official told CNN. But the size of the blast, which contained 17 tons of explosives, would make finding remains for identification difficult.
Still from a YouTube video
An anti-government activist near the bombing site confirmed the attack to the New York Times via Skype. He also said he had seen the American previously, but had no interaction with him. “I know he was an American, had an American passport and that he was with the Nusra Front,” the activist identified only as Ahmed told the Times.
Al-Nusra Front and other Islamic extremist groups in Syria have been trying to identify, recruit and train Westerners (especially Americans) to carry out attacks when they return home from fighting in the Syrian civil war, according to senior American intelligence and counterterrorism officials…(read more)
- American Becomes Suicide Bomber in Syria (drudge.com)
- Syrian suicide bomber grew up in Florida (wptv.com)
- American Said To Have Carried Out Suicide Bombing In Syria (Video) (djsdoingwork.com)
- American Said To Have Carried Out Suicide Bombing In Syria (+video) (joemiller.us)
- #MyJihad in Syria: Al-Qaeda group claims jihad murders of Assad loyalists, France urges funding for rebels (jihadwatch.org)
- Syria’s Rebels Turn on Each Other (Like That’s a Bad Thing) (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Oops. Suicide Bomber Instuctor Accidentally Blows Up 22 Students (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Oops! Senior Iranian General Beheaded by Syrian Rebels (Photos) (thegatewaypundit.com)