[VIDEO] CNN Journalist Detained and Kicked by Turkish Riot Police – Live On AirPosted: May 31, 2014
— TheBlaze (@theblaze) May 31, 2014
Reporting from Taksim Square in Istanbul, CNN’s Ivan Watson was showing the audience lines of riot police, stationed there to prevent a resurgence of anti-government protests on the anniversary of last year’s Gezi Perk riots.
That’s when he was surrounded and detained on camera.
“Where is your passport?” an official begins yelling, as Watson tries to keep the broadcast going.
“Harold we’re being detained right now,” Watson says upon realizing the police aren’t accepting his press credentials. “This is, uh, this is, I’m being kicked.”
The broadcast then cuts off…(read more)
- Turkish activists mark 1st anniversary of protests (mysanantonio.com)
- Turkey PM issues anniversary warning (bbc.co.uk)
- Why Turkey wants journalists with ‘one eye closed’ (thestar.com)
- Turkey beefs up security on protest anniversary (dailynewsegypt.com)
- Turkish PM warns of Gezi anniversary ‘provocations’ (en.trend.az)
- Another summer of unrest for Turkey? (economist.com)