Reality Check: 168 Times Released Gitmo Detainees Returned to Active TerrorPosted: June 2, 2014
For Breitbart.com, Ben Shapiro writes: Over the weekend, the Obama White House announced that it had made the worst trade since Ernie Broglio for Lou Brock: five senior Taliban commanders for apparent deserter Bowe Bergdahl.
“what did we give up in exchange for the tarnished soldier?”
President Obama announced, “On behalf of the American people, I was honored to call his parents to express our joy that they can expect his safe return, mindful of their courage and sacrifice throughout this ordeal.” Bergdahl, however, went AWOL according to those who served with him – in emails, he stated that “the horror that is America is disgusting.”
So, what did we give up in exchange for the tarnished soldier? Five “high-risk” Taliban commanders. Two of the five are wanted by the UN and would be tried for war crimes. Mullah Mohammad Fazi, the Taliban army chief of staff, is wanted for allegedly murdering thousands of Shiites. Mullah Norullah Noori, senior Taliban military commander, is wanted for the same. Taliban deputy minister of intelligence Abdul Haq Wasiq helped the Taliban give al Qaeda’s 9/11 planners intelligence training. Taliban governor of the Heart province and former interior minister Khairullah Khairkhwa was a point man for Mullah Omar. And Mohammed Nabi held meetings with al Qaeda to determine attack plans against US targets.
This will not work out well.
How do we know? Because the United States has routinely released terrorists from Guantanamo Bay, and they frequently end up targeting America and her allies. According to the Director of National Intelligence in September 2012, just a few days before the Benghazi attacks, 28 percent of all detainees moved out of Gitmo return to terrorism. Among those released terrorists:
Mohamed Yusif Yaqub: We released him in May 2003. He promptly went back to Afghanistan, where he assumed control of all Taliban operations in the south before he was killed fighting against the Americans in May 2004.
Ben Shapiro is Senior Editor-At-Large of Breitbart News and author of the New York Times bestseller “Bullies: How the Left’s Culture of Fear and Intimidation Silences America” (Threshold Editions, January 8, 2013). He is also Editor-in-Chief of TruthRevolt.org. Follow Ben Shapiro on Twitter @benshapiro.
- 11 Things You Need to Know about Obama’s Exchange of the ‘Last American POW’ for 5 Gitmo Terrorists (ijreview.com)
- Bergdahl-Taliban prisoner exchange ‘won’t help the peace process in any way’ – Taliban spokesman (longwarjournal.org)
- Afghan Taliban Leader Boasts Prisoner Swap Is a Victory for Taliban (breitbart.com)
- Brad Thor has an unsettling reminder about the Gitmo recidivism rate (deadcitizensrightssociety.wordpress.com)
- Warren: Obama skirts law on Gitmo (nydailynews.com)
- Negotiating With Terrorists: Inside the Capture and Release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl (theblaze.com)
- Obama’s illegal, and highly questionable, Afghanistan prisoner exchange (humanevents.com)