[VIDEO] ‘Baby Got Back’: Sir Mix-A-Lot with the Seattle Symphony at Benaroya HallPosted: June 9, 2014
Now in its third year, Seattle Symphony‘s critically acclaimed Sonic Evolution project creates a bridge between the Symphony and Seattle’s storied reputation as launching pad for some of the most creative musicians on the popular music scene. Each year, in celebration of the past, present and future of our city’s musical legacy, Ludovic Morlot and the Seattle Symphony commission world-class composers to write orchestral world premieres inspired by bands and artists that launched from, or are related to, Seattle.
In addition to writing a brand new composition inspired by Seattle’s own Sir Mix-A-Lot, composer Gabriel Prokofiev also orchestrated two of the legendary rapper’s most famous hits for this year’s concert, including “Baby Got Back,” for which Sir Mix-A-Lot joined Ludovic Morlot and the Orchestra on stage at Benaroya Hall.
Sonic Evolution is sponsored by CTI BioPharma Corp.
Media Sponsor: KEXP
Sonic Evolution is presented as part of the Seattle Symphony’s New Music WORKS initiative, which is supported in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts. New Music WORKS features commissions, concerts and educational activities that use composition as a catalyst for collaboration and engagement in music.
- Sir Mix-A-Lot kicks it with Seattle Symphony | Concert preview (blogs.seattletimes.com)
- Sir Mix-A-Lot, Seattle Symphony blow the roof off Benaroya (king5.com)
- Seattle Symphony And Sir Mix-A-lot Remix ‘Baby Got Back’ [Video] (business2community.com)
- Watch: Sir Mix-A-Lot raps ‘Baby Got Back’ with Seattle Symphony (fox8.com)
- Sir Mix-A-Lot performs ‘Baby Got Back’ with Seattle Symphony (usatoday.com)