Charen: ‘Hillary Clinton Has Nothing To Offer The Country Except Her Sex’Posted: June 13, 2014
Enthusiasm for Clinton’s candidacy is based on identity politics, not substance
For National Review Online, Mona Charen writes: Have you seen the “Ready for Hillary” bumper stickers? I’ve seen one already, and wondered about the implied insult to the current occupant of the White House. You’re “Ready for Hillary” when the greatest statesman of our age isn’t even halfway through his second term?
Are you ready because Clinton’s tenure as secretary of state was such a rousing success? As of this writing, Islamist forces are marching south from newly conquered Mosul and Tikrit in Iraq. Wasn’t Clinton the chief architect of our foreign policy when we failed to negotiate a status-of-forces agreement with Iraq in 2011?
“She managed to parlay her status as wronged spouse into a Senate seat, and to leverage her status as failed presidential candidate into the job of secretary of state.”
Reviewing that history in September of 2012, the New York Times quoted an administration spokesman: “As we reviewed the 10,000 option, we came to the conclusion that achieving the goal of a security partnership was not dependent on the size of our footprint in-country, and that stability in Iraq did not depend on the presence of U.S. forces.”
That worked out well.
“She now plans to milk her status as unsuccessful secretary of state into the presidency.”
When asked in April what she was most proud of in her term, she squirted a lot of ink about preventing another Great Depression and “stabilization” and “positive growth,” adding, “I think we really restored American leadership in the best sense. That, once again — people began to rely on us as setting the values, setting the standards.”
With which country are relations better now than in 2009? Canada? Israel? Britain? We’ve rebuffed and insulted Canada by failing to approve the Keystone XL pipeline, bullied and alienated Israel, betrayed Poland and the Czech Republic on defensive missiles, and insulted Great Britain by, among other things, sending back Churchill’s bust.
Has the U.S. position improved vis-à-vis adversaries? Is she proud of the Russia “reset”?…(read more)
— Mona Charen is a nationally syndicated columnist. © 2014 Creators Syndicate, Inc.
- Not so ready for Hillary (suntimes.com)
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton: Full interview (bbc.co.uk)
- Hillary Clinton: I ‘Could Not Have Predicted’ That Al Qaida Would Take Over Iraq (dailycaller.com)
- Pro Israel? Hillary Clinton calls Israel an occupying force (israelmatzav.blogspot.com)
- Hillary Clinton, jokester (washingtonpost.com)
- On Decision to Leave No Troops in Iraq, Hillary Clinton Points to Bush (cnsnews.com)
- Hillary: Taliban Not a Threat to US (deadcitizensrightssociety.wordpress.com)
- Hillary Clinton Snaps at NPR Host for Questions About Gay Marriage Evolution (mediaite.com)
- Hillary Clinton on Iraq vote: ‘I still got it wrong. Plain and simple.’ (washingtonpost.com)